• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning UK Magazine

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I was very surprised when my editor told me some of my pictures were been considered for a cover photo! I'm still smiling about it... I'm now part of the Woodturning UK team. I had one article published last month, one this month, and I have articles coming out in the next 3 issues... I had mixed feelings, I wanted to write for the Journal, but after been shut down several times I approached Mark and he loved my ideas... So I guess moral of the story is never give up... I also write for 2 international Trap Shooting and Sporting Clays magazines and a Fishing and Hunting one... Aloha from MauiIMG_7466.JPG

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yes, Kurt has an article too on this issue. I admire a lot of turners , but at the top of the list is Bill Jones. He wrote for many years for Woodturning magazine. It is truly an honor, humbling and impressive to be writing for the same magazine than Bill did. I have both of his books, I try to have a little bit of his humor in my writings... He is my inspiration for my hand chased threads... Thank you Bill Boehme.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kurt Usually has an article every issue. Mark Baker does a wonderful job of editing the magazine with some great articles. Met Richard Findley at the last AAW symposium. He is a pro turner out of England and also has articles every issue, at least for the last few years. Very interesting articles he writes. I highly recommend the magazine even though it's a little expensive here. Still when you divide the cost by 12 and get to enjoy it each month it's a good expense. My congratulations to you and look forward to reading what you have to say.

Hmmm. It's pretty hard to get the details from those photos. Maybe I just need to fly over there and stay in your guest bedroom for a week or two. ;)

But in all seriousness, hearty congrats on your cover!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hmmm. It's pretty hard to get the details from those photos. Maybe I just need to fly over there and stay in your guest bedroom for a week or two. ;)

But in all seriousness, hearty congrats on your cover!
Visiting woodturners are always welcome at my studio!! Aloha

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Emiliano, its all your fault. Even if it's not your fault, I will still claim that it is. I started a digital subscription to Woodturning magazine today and before reading anything else, I went straight to your interview. And, like the interviewer, I was thinking to myself, "if only". :D The digital subscription costs a lot less than the paper subscription and helps avoid adding even more clutter to all of my printed magazine subscriptions.

One of the nice features of the digital version is being able to enlarge pages. I couldn't see the pewas on the koa calabash bowl until I enlarged the page and suddenly there they were ... and, beautifully done I should add.

You certainly possess a huge amount of enthusiasm and energy with all of the things that you are involved in. This old guy feels exhausted just reading about them.

I didn't see the author's name mentioned anywhere ... just personal pronouns like "I" and "me". :D

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, its all your fault. Even if it's not your fault, I will still claim that it is. I started a digital subscription to Woodturning magazine today and before reading anything else, I went straight to your interview. And, like the interviewer, I was thinking to myself, "if only". :D The digital subscription costs a lot less than the paper subscription and helps avoid adding even more clutter to all of my printed magazine subscriptions.

One of the nice features of the digital version is being able to enlarge pages. I couldn't see the pewas on the koa calabash bowl until I enlarged the page and suddenly there they were ... and, beautifully done I should add.

You certainly possess a huge amount of enthusiasm and energy with all of the things that you are involved in. This old guy feels exhausted just reading about them.

I didn't see the author's name mentioned anywhere ... just personal pronouns like "I" and "me". :D
Glad you took the plunge!! I too read it on my Ipad. I have a few magazines coming whenever I have an article... My introductory Bio article was a collaboration with Mark Baker, the editor... I didnt mention that I'm also the president of the Hawaii Trap Association, Head Coach of my son's high school air riflery team... Pewas add an old Hawaiian feel to my pieces, I enjoy adding them...

Back