• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Worcester Demos Before Bunch of Yo-Yo's

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A large crowd was on hand at the March meeting of the Woodturners of North Texas as Steve Worcester demonstrated hollowing using the Trent Bosch Visualizer as well as special Hunter carbide tipped hollowing tools to create his signature hollow form with a small opening and slumped glass cover.

The Visualizer is a really nifty tool and is a lot more intuitive than looking for a laser beam to fall off the side of a turning. The visualizer gives a much clearer visualization of wall thickness. The nice part is its simplicity ... it only requires a camera and display ... no computer or software.

Steve is a really entertaining and funny guy. He also knows a thing or two about turning.

Our challenge for the month was to turn a yo-yo. There was a large number of yo-yo's made ranging from miniature to the size of a dinner plate. Here, is mine, although it wasn't quite balanced nor finished at meeting time. Our club president only had a photo to show for his yo-yo.

yoyo.jpg

Last edited:
i can remember "walking the dog", but never considered turning a yo-yo.......all mine were store bought

good chapter challenge......love your blue Bill

I think each one should have to be proven functional for entry

I agree with Steve

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Your Yo-yo looks fast just spinning with the earth.

Steve is certainly an informative and entertaining demonstrator.

I have been using the Bosch visualizer for a while at least 6 hollow forms.
It is a giant leap from using the laser pointer. It is something every hollow form turner should consider.
I love mine!

In a demonstration the visualizer shows the audience where the tool is inside the vessel.
It makes demos much more interesting than watching the outside of the form.
A great teaching aid. I will be using it in my demos where practical.

Al

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Turning a yo-yo isn't as simple as one might think at first glance. Unlike other turnings it needs to be dynamically balanced and the weight and shape of both halves need to match. I have a Harbor Freight scale that measures in tenths of a gram which is just about right for matching the weights if both sides. A mold can be made to serve as a guide for matching the shape of both sides. Dynamic balancing is something where you need to choose wood that is uniform and hope for the best. I had some success by drilling small lightening holes in one of the halves to improve both static and dynamic balance. Now that I've learned a thing or two, the next one should be a bit better. This one still has some cross products of inertia (meaning that dynamic balance could be better).

Bill Boehme; He also knows a thing or two about turning. Our challenge for the month was to turn a yo-yo. There was a large number of yo-yo's made ranging from miniature to the size of a dinner plate. Here said:
8309[/ATTACH][/QUOTE
Bill-if it doesn't walk the dog, maybe the shipyards could use?????!!!!!;)
Gretch

Believe it or not, there are yo-yo forums where folks are even more rabid than woodturners.

Bill, hopefully they will not exclude others, hope they are just passionate, with isis in the headlines, then Indiana passing laws, who then said all these other states have already passed laws.......just hope they see a new turning and just say that's new, I like it or I do not like it, lets go look and see what else is new.
I hope the rabid part , maybe a different word......hope they are not spreading their poison.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Charlie, have you ever "caused" another person to become a woodturner?

Maybe it wasn't a physical bite, but consider the similarities. Do you salivate when you see a downed tree? Do you crave wood even if you have a plentiful supply? Do you want others to become like you?

Are you rabid about woodturning or are you in denial? :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dictionary.com

Rabid:

irrationally extreme in opinion or practice:
a rabid isolationist; a rabid baseball fan.

furious or raging; violently intense:
a rabid hunger.

affected with or pertaining to rabies; mad.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
rabid (adjective)
1. Showing or having enthusiasm: ardent, enthusiastic, fervent, keen, mad, warm, zealous.

Source:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company

Bill

Charlie, have you ever "caused" another person to become a woodturner?

not that I know of, I have been at club events, talked to others, and have them join......but I was not the only one they talked to......mostly they had the desire before attending the event

there is an accomplished painter in several mediums who is taking Terry's beginning woodturning course.....it should be interesting to see if she continues and how she develops

Maybe it wasn't a physical bite, but consider the similarities. Do you salivate when you see a downed tree? Do you crave wood even if you have a plentiful supply? Do you want others to become like you?

I do pay attention when I see wood and hear a chainsaw. no I do not salivate over trees. I limit myself with no more than 3 feet of trunk , and have become picky on what kind of wood I will take. I used to take oak, usually pass now. I really do not turn walnut, I like the finished product but do not like to turn it. I usually look for large diameter Bradford pear or maple. I try not to imitate others work, and am not aware of anyone coping my styles, I am influenced greatly by several other turners.

Are you rabid about woodturning or are you in denial?
I am more searching about woodturning, looking for a path or inspiration. the last couple of springs I have gone west, this year I am going east. the island has spirals, and fertility statues......21 world heritage sites.......it's older than Stonehenge......it has tracks (possible cart tracks) leading into the ocean. it has these same tracks on the floor of the bay.

not rabid.....just doing a walk about, looking for a form, an image, and the beach is nice

Last edited:
Back