• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Working with Green Monkeypod?

I have been commissioned to turn 6 plate out of monkey pod. The monkey pod that I found for the project was recently cut and is still green. I have been told that I can turn it green and it would dry fairly quick with little distortion. I would like to finish turn and hopefully it will dry with little or no warping. Has anyone had any experience with turning green monkey pod?

Ken,

I can't answer your question but I will warn of potential allergic reactions.

I traded some walnut scrap via UPS to a turner on Maui for his Ear Pod scraps, which I believe to be similar to Monkey Pod. I itched, eyes burned and sneezed my way thru turning a couple small pieces before the box went on the burn pile. I am not sensitive to other woods so now I am carefule with wood from the 50th State.

Frank

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Ken, as with any piece of wood it depends on where it was in the branch or trunk. It could be stable or it could not. For such large pores the stuff is very hard. I tend to rough and dry and return. If its only a six inch piece give it a go. Most monkeypod here goes to the dump. Beautiful wood and can curl to beat the band. But its hard to sell a piece cause of all the cheap work coming out of the Phillippines. All the super touristy places have monkeypod. You can get a nice salad bowl for 30 bucks. Cant compete. As far as dust I wear a dust helmet and have no issues with monkey or earpod. But its true we have woods here that can be nasty to deadly. Silky Oak being one I will not work in again. Its an introduced tree from Australia.

Back