Working with green wood

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by hockenbery, Aug 8, 2015.

1. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    The August 2015 AAW JOURNAL has great article by David Ellsworth on working with green wood.
    This is followed by 11 marvelous ways turners turned cracks into features.

One of David's themes is that the deck is stacked against newer woodturners successfully working with wet wood.
    Might be a nice time to get the experienced wet wood turners exchanging information with those who are having problems.

I had lots of bowls and a few hollow forms crack when I started. Now it almost never happens.

I use the deck is stacked theme in a demo I do on working with wet wood.
    I show these slides: http://aaw.hockenbery.net/WORKING WITH green wood-HOcompressed.pdf
    Then turn a bowl

Newer turners should realize in a fairly short while (maybe days with a good teacher) they will no longer be plagued by
    Angular profiles, bad curves, uneven walls, and work drying out for hours on the lathe.

Wood is going to move so turn it with a shape and athickness that lets it move.
    Practice practice practice turn turn turn.
    Wood grows on trees
    have fun
    Work safely

Al
    [ edit added 3 feb 2017]
    In January 2017 Jan and Carl Brown made a video of the working with green wood demo I did for the tri-county Woodturners.
    I posted the two turning parts of the demo on YouTube. There are many ways to make a bowl.
    In some methods youndon't even need a lathe. These videos show the way I turn a bowl. You may find it useful

2. Roughing a green bowl for drying

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0bGSafZq4

3. Returning a dried bowl

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCZWsHB4vlM

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Your chart on Drying Techniques might more correctly be titled Stabilization Techniques or Crack Prevention Techniques since many beginners mistakenly think that the various methods are intended to speed up drying rather than keeping the wood stable while drying.

3. hockenbery

Home Page:
    I think I will go with the crack prevention.

Sort of difference in using the slides as talking points versus making them readable by those not present.

Got to concentrate on that a bit more...

Thanks.

4. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
  5. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    Very nice Al. I would add that Mesquite, somewhat prevalent down here in Texas is one of the few that dries 1:1 radial vs tangential.

And not being someone who took higher math, this presentation shows radial vs tangential pretty good.

6. hockenbery

Home Page:
    I was expecting some questions from newer turners
    And more additional experiences that others have.

I love turning green wood.
    I don't have any experience with mesquite. May try to change that.

I appreciate the compliments too.

Al

7. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Al,
    I kept a copy in my iBooks app. I'll bet you didn't get many questions because it's quite clear and helpful.

Thanks. And I'll be turning some green wood soon. :)

8. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    BTW, Al, I love the fact that your pitch charts are on the web. Last year at SWAT while attending one of your programs, I hand the same pitch charts displayed on my iPad that you were showing on the TV display at the front of the room. This enabled me to scroll back occasionally while following your lecture. The guy sitting next to me was obviously wondering how I was able to have the same charts displayed on my iPad that was showing on the big screen. Hopefully, other demonstrators will follow your lead. SWAT has made a big step this year with having the program book available for download rather than just the paper copies. I have it already on my iPad which is much more convenient to carry around.

9. hockenbery

Home Page:
    I now show 10-30 PowerPoint slides in just about every demo I do.

An iPad, PowerPoint app, and a 30 foot cable is a lot easier to carry than a case of things to pass around.
    With the slides everyone in the audience is looking at the same thing at the same time.
    I get a lot of positive comments about the slides.

Items I do pass around have been introduced in the slides.

I also email the slides to the clubs ahead of time.
    For the symposiums I have a new wrinkle, I add the link to the slides in the demo abstract they post on the web.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    That is what I referring to. If you haven't already done so, the next thing that you need to do is add a QR code in the handout assuming that printed handouts are still being used.

11. robo hippy

robo hippy

This is pretty good. My theory on why bowls tend to crack on the rim, much more so if you leave a sharp edge is tied to the 'even wall thickness' rule. When you come to the rim, every thing just stops, so by rounding over the rim, you kind of keep to the 'even wall thickness'. Also, that sharp edge will slice and dice....

robo hippy

12. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    My friend in social media advertising tells me QR codes are dead. But I still see them all the time.

13. Douglas Ladendorf

Douglas Ladendorf

The biggest problem with QR codes is they are not supported natively by iOS. I think Android may have a better solution but if I want to scan a QR code I have to find an app that can scan them (I use Red Laser) then scan. If the payoff is unknown or not of high enough perceived value I won't bother. The idea is great, but it just hasn't happened with enough mass yet.

14. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Well, if you're in advertising, the first thing that you need to do is make sure that there is a never-ending need for your services. Status quo doesn't fit that business plan. New flavors, styles, scan codes, etc are good for business.

I don't know what that means to the end user. I went to the App Store and installed the free QR Scanner on my iPad and iPhone while at SWAT last year when I saw that several demo rooms had QR codes near the door that gave information about the program. Now I just tap the QR Scanner icon, the camera comes on and reads the code and opens the web link. Pretty easy ... And fast. A lot of products that I buy have QR codes on the package.

Something better will always be around the corner. But, I still have some 5.25" floppies just in case we go full circle. Did I mention the Apple IIe and II GS that I have. :rolleyes:

15. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Bill, I thought I and my son had some collectables, but I think you have us beat. We do have the original Atari.

16. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

What's a QR code?

17. Dwight R Rutherford

Dwight R Rutherford

18. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

19. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Questions will come...

I'll have some questions once I progress to bowls. The two bowls diagramed, and the three that were photographed are very illustrative indeed. When I cut up some green maple recently to save as bowl blanks, seemed like I put more time into figuring out how/where to cut them than in the actual cutting. Didn't have your diagrams, but had Turning Green Wood handy. Thanks for putting your presentation online here!

20. hockenbery

Home Page:
    One of my friends makes a science of cutting blanks.
    He takes a framing square and plumb bob and spend s 15-20 minutes lining up the blank so the grain is just right.
    He has the whole bowl planned and layer out before finishing the chain saw work.

Then he drills a hole in the chain sawn blank that lines up on his circle cutting jig, cuts it round on the bandsaw mounts.
    Uses the same hole for a screw chuck, turns it, and the grain ends up in near perfect alignment.
    He has his screw hole marked when he is finishes his chainsaw cuts.

I get close to the grain I want with the chainsaw and the fine the grain alignment by turning between centers.

Work safely,.
    have fun

Al

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015