• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

workpiece

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Installed a turning blank in my lathe and stood back, waiting for it to speak to me as to what it wanted to be.Found out it is a deaf-mute.What next?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did tell it what to do. I sassed me back so I hit it with my gouge and grounded it for 2 weeks.

Scrape a few shavings from the piece. Roll them in your favorite paper.

Pour a snifter with three fingers of Corizon Repizado.

Light the stogie. Sip the agave.

You'll be amazed what that wood will tell you. :cool2:

Be careful what ...............

you wish for, you just might get it. When the wood starts talking to you can the "mother-in-law" be far behind???? :eek:

john lucas said:
I did tell it what to do. I sassed me back so I hit it with my gouge and grounded it for 2 weeks.

I agree with John if it is green. If it is partially seasoned, threaten it with the chipper, or death by fire, and if it is spalted and punky needing patchwork, be kind and threaten with remounting at the nursing home. :) Gretch

Gretch said:
if it is spalted and punky needing patchwork, be kind and threaten with remounting at the nursing home. :) Gretch

Oops! My day job is in a nursing home. We get people better and send them home.

Would be horrible to take the spalting out of my maple platter. :)

John :)

Another Vote

Another vote for Bill and Charlie's approach. Have some adult beverages, let your muse speak to you, maybe make some notes and draw some sketches. Next morning (after the effect of aforementioned beverages has worn off), take notes and drawings to the shop and turn something beautiful.

Back