• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wormy Wood

What is the best way to deal with sanding and for that matter simply turning worm holed wood. I just got some lovely maple that is now worm free and finally dried out. Short of using dentil picks and needle files (thank you harbor freight for having them in stock) to clean these up anyone else have any other suggestions besides give it to you or don't use it both of which were suggestions I got at woodcraft today.

BTW are there any inherent problems anyone knows of for wood that has been stained by sitting it a pool of rusty water for god knows how long? This is what makes this maple really beautiful it ranges from dark to like brown with some very rusty red streaks going through it near the worm holes.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to turning.But I recently turned some wormy Hickory.I just cleaned out the saw dust with picks and things,after rough turning then cleaned out again after that.I applied 2 coats of shellac and 2 coats of Johnson's paste floor wax on these.

modules.php

BTW I am new to this forum.I hope I didn't overstep my bounds in this post. :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Three words,
High
Pressure
Air.

As for the stain, great benefit of leaky basements.

Good luck,
dietrich

Website
woodturners.underthecouch.com
Craneman54, welcome to the forum.

Pictures are what we love around here, so don't worry about overstepping anything. I got an error when I clicked on your link, it tried to take me to hickory.com or somewhere, but a cut and paste of the address shows a nice vase with a super finish. Well done.

rick
/who lurks a lot and posts less often

For some reason I can't get the link to work.

How do you post a link in here and have it work?

Thanks for the kind words.If you go thru the pics you will see better examples of my stuff.My eye for form and style is'nt that great. :) ;)

Why not me? They let you in,didn't they? :p :p

How you been? Haven't seen you around much lately.

I just,today got me a used Compac from a guy in Florida.Really nice guy.He sold it to me with the 20mm jaws and the 1X8 tpi adaptor for $50. :D :D

Not often I find a real deal,but this one was.

Hi Carl,

Between myself, doghouse and you we have brought this forum to a new low!!!!!

You know that chuck was meant for me - BTW would you take $60??

Wilford

Hey Wilford,How ya doing.

After while we will have the whole Woodnet crew over here. :eek: :)

Who is doghouse.I'm not familiar with him?

What do you mean the chuck was meant for you.When I saw that add,it had my name all over it.

And no I won't take $60 for the chuck.Heck I'm so glad to get any chuck I would'nt take $250 for it right now. :) :D

Last edited:
Back