• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

worst written instructions for product

Possibly worst doesn't apply when the instructions are almost non-existent.
I must go back thirty years when with my son we attempted to construct RC planes from Asia. My current vote goes to the "written" instructions for the Wolverine Vari-Grind 2.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Actually there is a lot of stuff in woodturning where the "doie" arrives with no instructions, well, or painfully minimum set that mostly says "woodturning is un-safe"
:rolleyes:

Seems to me that Oneway have a free CD available on the their sharpening system, the vari grind is featured. I got it a couple of years ago, Kevin puts on the demonstration, check out their site. Good luck

oneway bowl saver written instructions are not what they should be either.

However, the crush-grind mechanism instructions are the worst I've come across

Machine translations do fine with words, but unless you know the usage, they don't always make sense. Had some experience with both years back, smoothing translations into idiomatic English. I had the luxury of researching unfamiliar expressions, sometimes even with the author of the piece, in their own language. If I were just rushing something to market, I might not have been able to do that. Imagine the Pacific rim has some problems in that line, but Canadians? Perhaps the wrong folks were writing and reviewing their copy.

The technical writing course I took stressed writing over the technology. It was probably the only such course the MBAs were exposed to along the line, too. Still remember the marketing and management people in my civilian job whose contempt for the "technicals" curled their lip when they pronounced the word while speaking among themselves. Attitude was a bit different when they approached a technical to do something, though.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When I worked in the photo store we used to get some hilarious instructions from the far east companies. I remember one was a film washer that introduced a bubbling action to speed up the wash times. it said "makes to bubbly several directions"
I have read a lot of manuals over the years on how things work or should be assembled and most are bad if not horrible. Makes me think if anyone actually took a technical writing class they probably failed it.
I do photos each year for the students in the technical writing class. They have to build something out of tinker toys and then describe how to build it. The parts are then given to other student teams who have to build the unit using only the written words. I photograph the original piece and then the team build pieces. It graphically illustrates how hard it is to do that correctly. I think that's why I'm trying to make the short videos because you it is so easy to miss understand the written word.

The technical writing course I took stressed writing over the technology. It was probably the only such course the MBAs were exposed to along the line, too. Still remember the marketing and management people in my civilian job whose contempt for the "technicals" curled their lip when they pronounced the word while speaking among themselves. Attitude was a bit different when they approached a technical to do something, though.

Very evident in today's market place. Too many manipulators and not enough makers IMO.

IMO we need more courses in expository writing.

Dave F.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
While not woodworking related, I found when I assembled my new Weber BBQ, that the "instructions" had no writing at all. Instead, it was a series of drawings and images that made assembly really foolproof. The difference, of course, is that assembly is one thing...usage of the product is completely different. That's why I agree that YouTube videos are a godsend, and Oneway's videos (available free from their site) are about as good as it gets.

In the category of woodturning, the Kel McNaughton bowl center saver's instructions are non-existant, which was not appreciated when I first got it and attempted to use.

Excessive use of "about" on the DVD does not constitute good concise directions. A good hard copy should not be replaced by a computer in the dust of a workshop. Everyone does not have a computer. Just take "about" three or six warfarin tablets and call me in the morning.

Manual instructions

The one thing I hate is where they give different instructions for various models and intermingle them. Hard to just turn to the page for the specific problem without rereading previous pages. My current Stihl manual is an example, Or they have updated the machine and the pictures don't match. Unlike some guys, I DO read the manual, as I don't have that innate sense and experience!!!!! Gretch

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
Unlike some guys, I DO read the manual, as I don't have that innate sense and experience!!!!! Gretch

My dad always said....when all else fails, read the directions!

I hate when you need to know how to use the device so you can get to the instructions. The user guide for my smartphone is ON MY SMARTPHONE.

I didn't know it was there for a year...until I figured out how to use some of the features of the smartphone....not a very smart design.

Foreign products, for the most part, have lousy directions. One I like that is not related to turning was a warning label on a charcoal grill at Big Lots- "Watch children and pets while burning."

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Foreign products, for the most part, have lousy directions. One I like that is not related to turning was a warning label on a charcoal grill at Big Lots- "Watch children and pets while burning."

My favorite is, "Throw away plastic bag that is over child's head, dangerous child".

:D

Rob

Back