• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Worth Another Look - Long

After researching many lathes, I finally settled on purchasing the Vicmarc VL300. I received my lathe in mid September and I have rough turn and cored around 60 blocks in the 14†to 20†size range. In addition, I have been able to finish turn a few bowls. Following is my review of the lathe.

The first thing I noticed was the thick cast iron bed which will dampen vibration. The mass of the machine was well balanced and easy to move and set in the location where I wanted it in my shop. The adjustable legs made setting the lathe to my height a breeze. When I leveled the lathe it was so close that I bolted it to the floor and then put two shoe box pieces of cardboard between the lathe bed and the base in the back, one in the middle and a few pieces of paper under the head stock, all on the operator side of the lathe. This leveled the lathe front to back and across the ways.

I purchased the short outboard extension with supports underneath the bed extension. This came on the lathe and is very sturdy. After setting the lathe, I checked the alignment of the tail stock on both the inboard and outboard side of the lathe and they were both dead on with the spindle. The tapered bearings in the head stock allows Vicmarc to make the head stock in an ergonomic, rigid and compact design. This allows for ease of working around it on either the inboard or outboard side and yet is very solid. In addition, I can remount the bed extension on the inboard side if I ever need a super long bed for a spindle.

When I turned the main start switch on it was so quite I thought it wasn’t running. I had to look at the RPM readout box to know it was on. I then ran it forward/reverse and at different speeds and was amazed how quite it runs.

There were four concerns folks repetitively brought up during my research so I want to address them individually:

1) “I’ll always be hitting the stop bar†This is something that takes about two bowls to get used to. The bar is located in such a manner that you almost have to be wanting to hit this safety bar to stop the lathe. You can lean on the lathe because it has part of the frame over the stop bar. You will learn to love this feature when turning. I have to use the high side of my knee to use the bar which is very convenient.
2) “I will be hitting the wrong buttons for forward and reverse on the remote box when turning on the opposite side of the lathe†You will figure out really quick that if you use the remote box in the same orientation on both the inboard and outboard side that the forward and reverse switch sequence is the same. I use the box where the wire going into the box is always on the same side of the lathe. So no matter if I am using the inboard side or outboard side the forward button is in the lower right corner and the reverse button is in the upper left corner (I don’t pay much attention to what it says on the switch I pay attention to the box direction). The only things that change with this method are the speed dial and the stop button but they are both so different than the forward/reverse buttons that it is fool proof to use them.
3) “Chucks will unscrew from the other side of the lathe when I turn the lathe on†The mating surface of the spindle face is so precision by Vicmarc that without torqueing down on the chuck I have not had one spin off yet. I usually always have a chuck on both sides since I use both sides back and forth all the time. I don’t need to stop take the piece off, take the fixture off, put another fixture on remount the piece and repeat, I can go back and forth with the bed on both sides of the head stock. I also can utilize the longer bed on the inboard and shorter bed on the outboard and yet maintain the stability of a fixed head lathe. This is faster and more stable than sliding the headstock around like so many lathes yet maintaining all the conveniences of the sliding headstock lathe.
4) “Outboard bed not being sturdy and vibrating†I ordered my lathe and requested from Christian and Vicmarc to add a support under the outboard bed to alleviate this potential problem. They were very accommodating and made one for me in the factory. This support is the ticket. I originally thought I would use the outboard side to rough the exterior of blanks and core on the inboard side. The outboard bed is so sturdy that I rough the exterior on the inboard side and core on the outboard side. When finish turning I will turn the outside of a bowl on the inboard side and then put the bowl in the chuck on the outboard side to finish turn and sand the inside. Then mount the blank back on the inboard side and turn the bottom and sand the outside. So convenient and quick having the two sides set up and ready to use. If I want to use the vacuum chuck, simply unscrew the chuck on the outboard side screw in the Vicmarc vacuum adapter and mount the bowl.

In closing I purchased an extra banjo, tailstock and two swing away so I could have two lathes in one. The cost of the lathe and extras was competitive with any American or foreign made lathe in this class. All of the concerns expressed to me were duly noted however they all proved to be nothing more than folks not having experience on the lathe to see that the concerns are not concerns at all. Working with Woodworkers Emporium and Vicmarc has been hassle free and a true delight. The VL300 lathe is worth another look if you are considering a lathe in this class.

DalesLathe-1.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dale,

Sounds like a terrific lathe.
Certainly a lathe in the upper tier!

I too think inboard to outboard is more convenient for most things than sliding the headstock.

:) I will ask my niece to find the lathe in the shavings stack. :)

Thanks for the update
Al

nice lathe~!!

What's with the can of WD 40?

Love the re-purposed chandelier

Careful with all those shavings. They emit silica (the harder the wood the more the silica) and in my business we have an expression for silica: Silica; the new Asbestos. Silica is going to be a gold mine.

Raul,

The WD40 is for when I am coring. I spray it into the kerf on the opposite side of the coring knife. It slicks the walls of the kerf so chips eject easier. I put a magnet on top of my tailstock so I have a place to keep handy and without it falling off. The chips are just from a hard day or two off work. I have a chicken farmer who uses them as bedding. He is the one who took the picture.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Great picture, but when are you going to get serious about turning? :rolleyes:

Three more accessories that you need: broom, shovel, and dumpster. Almost forgot ... also, more wood.

Snow shovels work great for this!.......might be kinda scarce in Texas, though.....but, not in Colorado! :D

Great looking lathe, Dale.....

ko

I assume that chandelier is at standard room height and there are 3 feet of shavings under your feet. One day you'll eventually bang your head on the ceiling--the turning equivalent of going all the way around on a swing set. (But there will still be a grin on your face)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I assume that chandelier is at standard room height and there are 3 feet of shavings under your feet. One day you'll eventually bang your head on the ceiling--the turning equivalent of going all the way around on a swing set. (But there will still be a grin on your face)

Not too many woodturners have a chandelier in their shop/studio or maybe that's the dining room. My "studio" is the great outdoors on the driveway so right now it is a bit chilly and the lighting isn't very good either because of the heavy overcast. I hear that there's only a three-strand barbed wire fence between Texas and Colorado and I think that somebody must have left the gap open and let a bit of Dale's weather slip through. When the temperature is 50° F, that's close enough to freezing for me.

Geez Bill 50 degrees is T-shirt and shorts weather.

Dean my shop has 9' ceilings so I have a way to go to hit my head. As you know i am not that tall so standing on about 12 inches of chips just makes me feel good about my height.

The chandelier (I like that, never thought to call it that but I will now). It really is a kids lamp that has like a four foot leg on it. I turned it upside down and screwed the foot to my ceiling. The adjustable arms are very handy to point LED lights where I need them. I took the football, basketball, soccer ball and baseball shades off of it - my son will never miss it. :)

Back