• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Worth the difference in $

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
3520 vs 1642

[SII have never turned on a 1642 but right off the bat,the 3520 will handle a 20 in. workpiece. With the 18 in. ext. dropped down it will turn a 38 in. workpiece. Does the 1642 have a sliding headstock? Turning from the end is much more comfortable. Much heavier bearings.If not handling heavier out of balance workpieces they will last much longer.All in all, a more comfortable machine to work with, albeit a higher price. Definitely the last lathe you will ever need, plus resale is way up there. Just my modest, unopinionated thoughts.Got one, love it. Max ZE="3"][/SIZE]

Powermatic 3520 vs JET 1642EVS

20 inch vs 16 inch swing
Swing over tool rest base 16" vs 12"
220 volt 2 HP motor vs 115 volt 1 1/2 HP motor
620 pounds vs 410 pounds means it ain't gonna move as easily from an out of balance load

That's enough to convince me to spend the extra bucks for the 3520

Is the added cost of the Powermatic lathe a wise investment compared to the Jet 1642? If it is, why?
:(

Only if you think so. It has a bit less over-the bed capacity, but you can always move the head if you want to turn off the end. Betting 98.6% of your turning will be 16 or under.

Bearings don't have to be as heavy, because the swing is less. Upgrades in an easily replaced item are available, but betting you'll not see a need for it, barring abuse, in your lifetime. BTW, be nice to your bearings - use your bandsaw. For a $1300 difference you can get a good one.

Wouldn't know about the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 HP in turning, having only a 1 HP 16" lathe myself. Some people claim there's a need. Depending on your workshop situation, you could be ponying up a bit more to run 240 for the 2HP models of either flavor.

Weight - that perpetual red herring. Bolt on what you want, what you start with is not important, rather what you end up with. Of course, if you use your bandsaw, your low speed and the good geometry of the compulsory stand you should have little problem. You can be nicer to your bearings, too. If you're turning weird shapes, counterweight.

Swing over banjo is at least a pink herring. Unless you're trying to turn in a single mount versus outside/inside, it's meaningless. Though I have to say I like the toolpost on the side versus centered, I could find a way to keep the tool close. Some people give the extra 3/4 of an inch the side post offers back by buying round rests anyway.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I own the Powermatic and frequently demonstrate on the Jet 16. I think it depends on what you turn. The mass of the Powermatic makes it a sweet machine. When I got mine I turned a bowl with a nickel balanced on the headstock. That's what size, weight, and quality will do for you. It makes the cuts easier and smoother.
However I can turn 90 percent of what I turn with the Jet. The big difference is in larger hollow forms (less chatter) and off center or square work. The bigger lathes simply lets you do larger work.
The only downside of the jet for me is the handwheel. It's just a narrow tube and that drives me crazy. I like reaching for the handle on the powermatic. It's much easier to install and remove chucks and such with the big steering wheel type of handwheel than the tube type of the Jet.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My advice is to buy the jet and take one or two quality classes with the savings at Campbell, Arrowmont, or ....

You'll get more enjoyment and/or better sales from the improved skills and increased confidence than you will from a higher quality lathe.

If you move into selling your work, it will only take a few good weekend shows to make $1500. Take that money buy the Powermatic and sell the jet for $300 less than a new one. The work you do on it will recommend it.

You'll be Out 300 but that is just 2-3 bowls.... Which you make better and in half the time it would take before you had the lessons.

With your next $4,000 you have a decision. Sell the powematic and buy a Oneway or Stubby or vacation in Florida!

Another big advantage of taking a course at a craft school is that you get to spend a week turning on a powermatic, Vicmarc, oneway....

Happy Turning,
al

Last edited:
Note that the 1642 can be had with the 2 hp motor, which I assume is virtually the same as the PM motor. The 1642 headstock does slide. And I really like the cylindrical "handwheel". It fits my hand and has no spokes or protuberances that would try to injure me. Mostly you can just turn larger diameter stuff on the PM. But if you are unlikely to turn stuff that big, and think you can handle "lathe envy" until it passes, the 1642 might be the right choice. But if money is no object, by all means get the PM.

Last edited:
R

Ron Sardo

Yes, the difference is worth it.

Don't take me wrong, both are good lathes. Besides all the good things others have said about the 3520, there is one other factor to consider. If you bought the 1640 you will be wondering if you should have purchased the 3520.

Do yourself a favor and go for the Gold... or should I say the Mustard.:)

I've got a 1642EVS and have used the Powermatic. For my money the 3520 is very close to a waste of money. It's slightly better but much more expensive.

If you want a bigger lathe than a a 1642 you should be looking at companies like Robust, VicMarc, and Oneway. And maybe even thr Powermatic 4224. These offer a significant jump in capability over a 1642 or a 3520, albeit at a price.

Just my opinion. Lord knows there are any number of 3520 fanatics out there in the world.

Marc

For all the reasons noted ... if you can pull it off, go for the 3520. I've used the Jet 1642 and it's a really nice machine too, for the money, but is smaller. If anything, it comes down to pure mass differences between the two as well as swing. Few PM3520 owners (myself included) will complain about much, but if you turn anything of any size we could say "I wish I had" more swing, more mass, more power, more .... so get what you can afford and so the best you can go get "more" of those things that matter.

If money is even less of a concern, I would consider some of the other big name players mentioned, like Oneway and Robust and others ... but that is a completely different set of funds!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
R

Ron Sardo

The 1640 is really the 3520's little brother.

Can't go wrong with either.

I decided on the 3520.

I have the Jet 1642 2Hp version. I really like it, although I am a relatively new turner and don't have experience with the Powermatic. I have made a number of modifications such as retractable mobile casters, a tail stock tilt away and a vacuum set up. This lathe is very nice although I did have to have the motor controller replaced early on. I have posted photos of the mods at the following link if interested. http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots

Dick

Last edited:
Like most important decisions in adult life it is a balance between expectations and availible resources. The added swing and mass are a benift and give a more refined experience. Both can get the job done. To aide your decision, find some turners, who have these lathes, and ask if you can turn on them. Then you can see which suits your needs.

As for the green machine, for the money, go for the gold. Griz makes nice band saws, but I not too sure about the lathes.

Back