• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Would you buy these pieces of wood? Discussion invited......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Four pcs Spalted Maple, 6"x3", price is $35 total combined with shipping, or $8.75 each......from an auction on ebay.

For me, I always have no more than a photograph to judge what is being offered. Sometimes I get nice usable and interesting looking wood for my bowls.......sometimes, I'm very disappointed. Since return shipping is very costly, and pretty much means I'm stuck with what I get, I end up with some bowl blocks that I never would have purchased if I had the opportunity to inspect them prior to purchasing.

I've been burned a few times by purchasing bowl blocks that showed a photo, but with a disclaimer that the photo is only representative of what will be shipped....... There may be future circumstances where I still might do this, but normally these get passed over.

Sometimes I have no photos to go by, such as with Woodcraft and CSUSA. Purchasing bowl blocks sight unseen from them is a gamble, but for the most part, I've been very satisfied with what I get.

I've seen photos that I suspect might have been enhanced with photo software, but my untrained eye makes it difficult to know this for sure. I have no doubts this is going on, and I'd consider this to be dishonest. Other photos of wood look like they may have been sprayed with water (?) to enhance the color of the grain, but are actually much less impressive once the wood is in your hands. Whether or not this is ethical......I have some mixed opinion about that.

All in all, we all must hone our skills at making judgments of what we see in photos of raw wood being offered........the return policy except for shipping sounds good, but usually is a waste of time and money to try and use it.

I have not given my opinion of the Spalted Maple bowl blocks in the picture. At this point I'd rather hear the opinions of others before I give mine......so as not to influence the input......;)

ooc

Attachments

• 398725804.jpg
    398725804.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 182
The spalting looks very dark and present through out the blank however that could also mean that they are old...Can you ask when the blanks were harvested and sealed (they look sealed to me)? Might give you an idea weather they will be too soft, spalted maple has been a mixed bag for me so far.

Website
www.turningnick.com
I would after asking how punky the spalted areas are.

There is always going to be a risk when purchasing wood through some sort of mail order. eBay does have there feedback to review before the bidding.

Places like Craft Supply & Woodcraft have their reputations to be concerned with. They will usually work with you more than eBay vendors.

OK, 6x6x3 it appears. I would not give $35, and not just because I have a source for $90/full cord - delivered. Problem I have with these is that the resolution suggests that the saw has pecked out some of the delignified (white) area, when sawing wet with fairly fine teeth. I say wet, because it appears they might have been dipped after cutting, and there's mold growing. It's tough to keep those white areas smooth without treating them, though a design which would allow cutting them at a low angle would minimize pecking out. Turning a tight corner where there's white would be tough.

If you've a buyer (at a good price) for the end product, and you and the buyer don't mind a film finish, you might try. You can CA the punk. Hey, it's better than my worst case crappy wood. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/You-Know-its-Rotten-When.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Here is a bowl block that I did purchase for $20.50, but it was a big disappointment. It was advertised as: 10.5" x 4" Silver Maple wood Turning Bowl Blank Spalted Lathe.

The blotchiness in the photo, I thought was the kind of spalting that is represented in the second photo of a bowl I'd done in the past......but, I misjudged what I was seeing. I suspect others may have thought so, too.....because there were several other bidders for what turned out to be a very plain looking piece of wood. The spots were only on the surface, and there really isn't any spalting at all in this block.

.....To me, this block of wood is practically worthless, but will probably end up as a utilitarian food bowl......and gifted to someone I know.

I guess I'll always make these kind of mistakes, but there is no question that I've come a long way in determining what to spend cash on.....and, what not to!......:mad:

ooc

Attachments

• 398727035.jpg
    398727035.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Spalted_Silver_Maple_553.jpg
    Spalted_Silver_Maple_553.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 103
Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Odie,
I don't know who you are buying from, but I'm sorry you're not having good luck.
Buying (and selling) wood on eBay can be difficult. Here are some things I would look for in an auction:
  1. More than one picture - of the piece you are bidding on.
  2. An accurate description of the wood, INCLUDING the mention of any defects.
  3. A HIGH to perfect feedback rating - if there are any negatives, be cautious, read their feedback and see WHY they got negatives... Sometimes, they are not deserved, but if there is more than one, the seller might not deserve your confidence.

Check their feedback anyway, see what people have to say. A constant "As Described" is good, but at least an occasional "Better Than Described" is better.
A seller who doesn't take the time to properly picture and describe what he's selling MAY be inexperienced, but they MAY also be hiding important information. If you're willing to take a chance and bid, don't be afraid to ask questions and EXPECT answers (before you bid). Professional sellers will make sure that you get what you bid on and that you are happy. Professional sellers want/NEED return customers.

The bowl blank pictured above is poorly photographed (if that is the sellers original picture) and POORLY waxed.

What kind and size of wood are you looking for, maybe I can help you?

Last edited:
Spalted pieces

I don't think spraying with water or alcohol is particularly deceptive. It does give you an idea of the grain pattern under a finish. Enhancing with photoshop, on the other hand, is deceptive in my opinion. It does not represent reality.

This particular picture is rather poor but you can see what looks like peking in the white portion, so they will probably be a challenge to turn.

They might also be fun to make some small hollow forms out of. I'd give you $35 if you want to get rid of them.

Joe Donohue

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
I don't know who you are buying from, but I'm sorry you're not having good luck.
Buying (and selling) wood on eBay can be difficult. Here are some things I would look for in an auction:
  1. More than one picture - of the piece you are bidding on.
  2. An accurate description of the wood, INCLUDING the mention of any defects.
  3. A HIGH to perfect feedback rating - if there are any negatives, be cautious, read their feedback and see WHY they got negatives... Sometimes, they are not deserved, but if there is more than one, the seller might not deserve your confidence.

Check their feedback anyway, see what people have to say. A constant "As Described" is good, but at least an occasional "Better Than Described" is better.
A seller who doesn't take the time to properly picture and describe what he's selling MAY be inexperienced, but they MAY also be hiding important information. If you're willing to take a chance and bid, don't be afraid to ask questions and EXPECT answers (before you bid). Professional sellers will make sure that you get what you bid on and that you are happy. Professional sellers want/NEED return customers.

The bowl blank pictured above is poorly photographed (if that is the sellers original picture) and POORLY waxed.

What kind and size of wood are you looking for, maybe I can help you?

Hi George......all good advice! Feedback and ratings are especially indicative of the business ethics.

Actually, I'm having very good luck in my purchases the past few years......this comes with a little experience with making lots of bad choices in the past, but I'm getting fewer disappointments as time goes by. I'll probably never get to the point where I won't make a mistake in a judgment call about what I'm seeing in a photograph.

I did purchase a bowl block that showed a photo obviously hiding pith running right through it......this is deception, in my book! I use favorite sellers list on ebay, and make notations of such things. There are other sellers that have been extremely good to deal with, and I note who those are, too!

One very active and established seller on ebay consistently does not show multiple pictures. As a matter of fact, I have asked for multiple pictures showing the other side, but that request was ignored. I've purchased many blocks of wood from him, and have been mostly very satisfied. We are dealing with individuals here......and can expect any, and all kinds of responses from these sellers........

Yes, some of the sellers are inexperienced, and some are only attempting to sell a limited supply of wood they happen to have access to. I have dealt with a few sellers that come and go like this......one comes to mind who offered some spectacularly figured spalted maple, that was very unprofessionally cut from chain saw. He was only selling for a short time, but wow!......I got a few really outstanding pieces of wood from him!:D

Thanks for the offer, but I've got all the wood I can handle for years to come, and my supply is always increasing......:eek:

ooc

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
I don't think spraying with water or alcohol is particularly deceptive. It does give you an idea of the grain pattern under a finish. Enhancing with photoshop, on the other hand, is deceptive in my opinion. It does not represent reality.

This particular picture is rather poor but you can see what looks like peking in the white portion, so they will probably be a challenge to turn.

They might also be fun to make some small hollow forms out of. I'd give you $35 if you want to get rid of them.

Joe Donohue

Hi Joe:

I didn't purchase them, but they are available on ebay right now.....run a search, and you'll find them.

I pondered over them for a few days, but decided they look a little too punky for me....... The overall grain pattern of the spalt does look very promising, though.

Good luck with them......:D

ooc

not happy

I tend to not purchase much via the net ebay or what ever. When it comes to blanks, unless the guy really has made a serious effort to display the condition with various images.
Its too easy to get done by clever photos etc, OK you can complain, but it takes ages and often it my opinion opposed to his etc.

odie

TOTW Team
I tend to not purchase much via the net ebay or what ever. When it comes to blanks, unless the guy really has made a serious effort to display the condition with various images.
Its too easy to get done by clever photos etc, OK you can complain, but it takes ages and often it my opinion opposed to his etc.

Howdy Hughie.......

Nobody could blame you for not using the internet as a source for your wood. I'm sure there are plenty of turners who do not. Most of these, have local, or other sources that supply their needs.

I am one who purchases 99 percent; of my wood through internet sources........mostly online dealers and ebay. The exceptions are Woodcraft and CSUSA, which are available through catalog sales, but I still use online ordering for them, too.

The internet IS the future, and represents the door to some very nice wood, and if that door remains closed because some shysters take advantage of turners through misrepresentation and outright fraud......well then, those who don't accept some risk will just not have some of the best wood available to turners available to them.

The trick is to learn the ropes and understand how deceptive practices are practiced and applied......that will minimize the inherent risks. I say "minimize", not eliminate entirely. That would be hoping for an impossibility!

Once you have dealt with certain sellers on a continuing basis, you begin to compile data that supports those you can trust, those who are questionable......and those to avoid. Really, there are only a small percentage of those who fall in the latter category, and once burned you have the option to continue purchasing from them, or not! :D

There is some good information in George Guadiane's post......just don't expect all sellers will measure up to the guidelines 100 percent......

ooc

Last edited:
Odie,
Being I'm in Ohio with a great amount of Maple in various woods. The spalted Maple is quite popular here. The pictures show a good grain of spalt markings which I tend to have in my stack. mine has always seemed to turn easy but in some cases became brittle when trying to get thin walls with natural edge.
Good luck in your findings do keep inmind that spalted maple from Ohio could be your best bet.

Is there any other kind of maple other than spalted maple?

Sheesh, I never see anthing but spalted or ambrosia maple here. I don't think that there is a clear, straight tree in the state of New Jersey. I can't recall the last clean tree I had.

You should develop a list of trading partners or join a club. We brought two truckloads of free wood to the last club meeting for guys who can't get wood for themselves anymore. Free wood is a perk our members enjoy at both of the clubs I belong to...

Steve

P.S. They look like pretty good blocks to me., so yes I would buy them if I was the wood buying type.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Is there any other kind of maple other than spalted maple? .....

Well, I am into figured maple and love the resulting chatoyance when it is dyed and lacquered and polished to a glass smooth finish. I like curly, fiddleback, tiger, quilted, and birdseye maple although I am not sure that the distinction between some of the various figure types is very clear.

[I am one who purchases 99 percent; of my wood through internet sources........mostly online dealers and ebay. The exceptions are Woodcraft and CSUSA, which are available through catalog sales, but I still use online ordering for them, too.

Hi Odie,
This is where forums of this type play a important role on the dissemination of sound advice,information and contacts etc.
I guess, for me so far anyway, I have access to turning wood via my local area. This then takes away the need to purchase on line, although some of the more exotic pieces are very tempting. :)

Last edited:
Looking at those pieces, they look like there is way too much punky wood. I wouldn't bother with it. There is so much maple around here in the Northwest, I can find more lying on the ground with only a little searching.

robo hippy

That makes sense. Some years ago, it was determined that for retail stores, for every person that complained, there were 17 who had a similarly bad experience and did not complain.

spalted maple

I heat with wood and buy 20 full cords in the 8 foot length about every 2 years. 2 years ago I got mostly sugar maple and some oak. This year the maple has spalted so awesomely that it tears my little heart into pieces to put some in the wood burning pile. I have no more room to store more wood and have to be judicious. (stored in one wall of a pole barn, 2 pallets worth under its overhang, a 10x16 for Mich State University campus wood, and another 10x16" with wood I drag back from visiting my home town 2x/year. Part of the basement is a mound of wood for turning in the winter. Too much wood, so little time!!!!.
Then more highly spalted maple makes for more degrade and punkiness (not always). Odie- email me, Flo@ msu.edu

Back