• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WOW - bad lathe Karma

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Not sure if this is from someone that posts here - so I'll not post the name - they can fess up if they want. ;) This was posted to one of the turning groups that I get an email digest from.

Yikes! :(

--------------------------------

I was really excited Friday when the shipper called to schedule delivery of my new 3520B. I spent the weekend rearranging my shop for it and to make space moved most of my equipment to my wife's side of the garage so I'd have space to uncrate and assemble the new lathe, promising her that I'd get it set up and cleared so she could get her car back in.

The delivery truck came on time and the driver was very nice about backing his truck all the way up my steep driveway so we could get the crate inside. I hopped up on the truck and together we muscled the crate onto the tailgate, but when I was getting off of the truck I lost my footing and fell backward-extending my left hand behind me to break the fall. The resulting 3 fractures to my hand, wrist and arm are going to keep me away from that lathe for awhile-3-6 months if I don't require surgery. You can imagine how disappointed I am, seeing that beautiful box of new lathe sitting in the shop unopened.

SWMBO isn't too happy about it either. Bad lathe Karma.

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear about your arm. Where do you live? I can come by and show you how sweet it really is, put some shaving under her and sort of warm her up for you. Just trying to be a buddy.

Bad, but not REAL bad. Real bad would be having the lathe fall off the tailgate on top of you after you fell off the tailgate. Things could always be worse.

At least the lathe is in good shape. :)

Ed

I'll stop by and turn a bowl or two. I'll even let you watch if you want. :D
Maybe the wife will set it up and start turning. Sorry, just trying to help! I hate to see a lathe sit there in a crate.

All joking aside, I hope you heal well and don't have too much pain. The new lathe will be there when you are ready to go.

GA Darling

R

Ron Sardo

Oh Man, that is rough. Hope he doesn't take to long to heal.

Tough Breaks

Hi,
Hope you heal soon, and get back to the business of turning. While you're mending, just remember that the PM is waiting for you, pristine, untouched, and just chomping at the bit to get started! Thought you could use that to cheer you up!

BTW, I just set one up about 2 months ago, so if I can be of any help, holler!
KurtB

you may want to put a chair and lamp beside it, and maybe look at different forms in galleries, if you see one you like show it and plan for the day yall will turn together:cool2:

Sky

Houston, I think we have a problem!! Sorry you can't enjoy the Mustard Monster yet. Maybe you can watch all those club turning dvd's by the time you heal.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You gotta watch that breed of lathe -- they'll turn on you (OK, that was just plain bad on so many different levels).

Take care of yourself and get well soon. If you need anyone to whip that lathe into shape while you are mending, I am available.

Bill

Back