• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WOW Going Out Of Business

Just got an e-mail from MyFamily.com announcing their shutting the service down. The most immediate question is, are we still going to have a get-together in Phoenix?

The notice has a September 5 date, I would imagine that anything up to that date will continue.
The WOW swap next week, is well, just next week.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Maybe not WOW . . .

Just got an e-mail from MyFamily.com announcing their shutting the service down. The most immediate question is, are we still going to have a get-together in Phoenix?

This might present a challenge to WoW, but maybe they might consider using real forum software instead of driving a square peg in a round hole.

Wow

To survive, Herm needs to find a new host with the bandwidth to handle the size of his image traffic. I expect that may get pricey unless he starts limiting image file size.

may have to go to a paid membership

WoW may have to go to a paid membership, most hosts are pretty pricey for that kind of bandwidth usage. MyFamily did offer some options for people to look into but I don't know if any are a fit for WoW.

My guess is WoW is going to be around for a long time to come but some changes of some sort are going to be forced on Herm and the membership.

I haven't been able to get past a sign in page today, anybody else getting onto WoW?

Hu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I haven't been able to get past a sign in page today, anybody else getting onto WoW?

Hu

I think that is the same page where I was stuck. I was wondering if the site would still be available after the contents were downloaded ... or if such a task is even feasible for such a huge amount of data for anything other than cloud storage.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I see that they have a welcome to MyFamily members pop up on their home page. Some of their features include having a real forum that is private. I was not able to log in so either things have not been set up yet for WoW or else I have forgotten my password.

Over on SMC, Keith said that he talked to Herm on the phone about assisting him in setting up a new site, but apparently Herm had already had this in the works.

Back