• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

xmas ornament stands

any body have a source for low cost xmas ornament stands?????

i find plenty at $8.98 for one, need help

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
any body have a source for low cost xmas ornament stands?????

i find plenty at $8.98 for one, need help

You could turn one on your lathe. That would look nicer than a store bought one. It would also allow you to custom design it to fit your needs rather than making do with one that is not quite what you have in mind.

Christmas stand

You could turn one on your lathe. That would look nicer than a store bought one. It would also allow you to custom design it to fit your needs rather than making do with one that is not quite what you have in mind.

I made one by straightening 10 old coat hangers, twisted then together like a tree trunk, spread the wires like branches and bent small hooks on each branch, drilled a hole in a circle of wood and then sprayed it with black paint and hung 10 ornaments on them. Looked great. Gary

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Get brass brazing rod from your local welding supply. It's fairly stiff and looks great. Isn't very expensive. Just turn a base out of wood and drill it for the rod. Then bend it to a shape that works for you.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Get brass brazing rod from your local welding supply. It's fairly stiff and looks great. Isn't very expensive. Just turn a base out of wood and drill it for the rod. Then bend it to a shape that works for you.

I was wondering about that, but the only kind that I have seen at my local hardware store has the flux coating.

thanks for the suggestions, maybe try to make one, brings me back to my tinker toy days

I like to use a small dead branch. Thin it out and stick the end in a wood block with a hole drilled in it. Very effective display, many levels, easy to replace and FREE!
dickhob

yes , i can see that would work, and biggest thing would seem to choose the right stem, thanks dick

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have used branches too. What we used the most is some artificial pine boughs. These are available lots of places in lots of sizes any where decorations are sold. Michaels, walmart.... Some will hold 10-20 ornaments.
In a show these let the customer see how they look on a tree. Al

Here are some pics
dickhob

Attachments

• bh01.jpg
    bh01.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 88
  • bh02.jpg
    bh02.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 85
  • bh03.jpg
    bh03.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 87
  • colbdh1.jpg
    colbdh1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 85
I buy mine from Bonners Christmas store online. $2.99 for 10" wire stands. They have others for more money but the basic stand is all I need.

Back