• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yea bowl turning day

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A little excuse like a few snowflakes to take the day off? :rolleyes: :D

Instead of the light fluffy stuff, we get our water in the form of round golf balls and tennis balls. While I was in the hospital last week, we got one of those "hard" rains. My wife called to say that it had broken out the skylights and we will also need to get a new roof.

"hard" rains. My wife called to say that it had broken out the skylights and we will also need to get a new roof.

if it broke a skylight it damaged your roofing tiles if they are the asphalt type that most people use.......your homeowners should cover it.......several years ago we had hail in the area......last count I heard was that over 300 homes got new insurance covered roofs........

here in the last 2 years I have seen more steel roofs.....you choose the color......put on houses.......I guess the downturn in commiodies have helped that conversion.........I have also seen the paint or color peeling on some of these 40 year roofs

Denver weather is just unbelievable........I mowed the back yard today, will have to do 2nd cutting of the front this friday

Yesterday was 70 and gorgeous. Today is beautiful in another way. Tomorrow starts to get nice again.

We get hail here also. Maybe not quite as big as you describe but I just had my roof replaced about three years ago due to hail. One thing to consider is an upgraded shingle. I went with the 50 year shingle which is more impact resistance and my home openers insurance went down by $180 a year. It will take five years to recover the extra cost of the shingles but worth it when you consider i'll save that for many years to come thereafter.

Hope your recovery is going well Bill.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
if it broke a skylight it damaged your roofing tiles if they are the asphalt type that most people use.......your homeowners should cover it.......several years ago we had hail in the area......last count I heard was that over 300 homes got new insurance covered roofs........

here in the last 2 years I have seen more steel roofs.....you choose the color......put on houses.......I guess the downturn in commiodies have helped that conversion.........I have also seen the paint or color peeling on some of these 40 year roofs

Denver weather is just unbelievable........I mowed the back yard today, will have to do 2nd cutting of the front this friday

Most homes here have composition shingles. A neighbor across the street decided to put on a heavy duty steel roof after the thin aluminum "faux" shake roof got beat all to "hail". Our worst hailstorm was about 25 years ago. Some hailstones were football size and many homes and vehicles were totally destroyed. Some cars looked like they had been in a demolition derby or a car bash. A few of the really big ones hit our house and we were really afraid that some might come all the way through. Two neighbors across the street had cedar shake roofs. The hail completely destroyed the roofs. Then the heavy rains caused their ceilings to collapse which ruined their furniture and carpets as well as most other stuff in the houses. That type of roof is no longer allowed unless there is a solid wood decking beneath. All of our skylights were completely destroyed and then we were getting rain and hail inside, but we moved things out of the way and cleaned up the water as it accumulated. My recollection is that there were over a half million homes in the metroplex that had to get new roofs after that storm. By comparison, this storm was hardly enough to get excited. I don't know how extensive the damage is from this storm.

It was fortunate that my wife arrived at the hospital to visit me just before the storm hit and she parked in the parking garage rather than outdoors. The hail was heavy at the hospital, but not nearly as intense as at our home about ten miles away.

Yesterday was 70 and gorgeous. Today is beautiful in another way. Tomorrow starts to get nice again.

We get hail here also. Maybe not quite as big as you describe but I just had my roof replaced about three years ago due to hail. One thing to consider is an upgraded shingle. I went with the 50 year shingle which is more impact resistance and my home openers insurance went down by $180 a year. It will take five years to recover the extra cost of the shingles but worth it when you consider i'll save that for many years to come thereafter.

Hope your recovery is going well Bill.

My wife asked me this evening if I had heard about the crazy weather in the Denver area so I showed her your post and the picture. When we used to go skiing a couple decades ago we encountered some snowstorms in Colorado and broke down on the way back home between Raton Pass and Nowhere with the temperature at about -25° F. Scary.

Thanks, my recovery is going better than I could possibly hope for. My stroke turned out to be a "stroke of luck" if you can call any stroke lucky. The only residual effect seems to be that the right side of my head is numb, but everything else seems to be fine. I also have been having bad headaches, but that is most likely the result of new medication with headaches being the main side effect. In the big scheme of things, a headache isn't all that big.

hope you will be home soon, wish you well, and god bless

when I was first prescribed a statin I had some sharp headaches, doctor told me instead of taking it right before nite/nite take it with food, I started taking it with dinner and have been headache free since then

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
hope you will be home soon, wish you well, and god bless

when I was first prescribed a statin I had some sharp headaches, doctor told me instead of taking it right before nite/nite take it with food, I started taking it with dinner and have been headache free since then

Good luck with the recovery. I am sure you'll be home bugging your wife and making a chip mess before you know it.

Thanks again Charlie and Dale. I guess that I forgot to mention that I got home on Friday night. And, I apologize for hijacking your thread, Dale.

[QUOTE=dbonertz;112798 "I went with the 50 year shingle which is more impact resistance and my home openers insurance went down by $180 a year. It will take five years to recover the extra cost of the shingles but worth it when you consider i'll save that for many years to come thereafter."

I've always wondered about these long term guarantees. Do you have to have the original receipt??. Also How can you tract down the company that has long since gone out of business???
Keep up the good recovery Bill,
Gretch

I can't answer that Gretch. I am not to worried about the warranty. I am a contractor so I know a 20 year shingle you can expect to get 15 years out of 30 year shingle about 25 years and a 50 year shingle about 45 years. They are betting you won't own your home for more than ten years after you re-shingle. I intend to be in my home for a very long time. The upgrade in shingle cost will be recovered in 5 years from my insurance premiums which went down by $180 per year. I have two years left and then I start saving money because I made that decision for as long as I own my home. If another hail storm hits and I need to file another claim then so be it. I hope not but at 54 years old I don't think I will be here to see the 45 year expectancy. At least that is my train of thought. I didn't want to go with the 20 or 30 year because i am gambling that I will be here longer then there expectancy and I save money along the way after five years.

Back