• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yet another recommendation request

I have about 200 to 300 dollars with which to control dust in my 8 foot by 10 foot shop. I run a Jet Mini lathe, the grinder for sharpening, and a Bealle polishing system. I dont have a band saw (yet) but hope to soon. What do you folks recommend?

What I would recommend wouldn't exactly be dust control to start out with... I would more be concerned about my lungs if I were you... if you haven't got one I would really suggest a respirator especially if you turn spalted or exotic woods. Like smoking, it won't effect everyone, but I wouldn't gamble with it if I were you. I got a nice 3M respirator, but it is like $600 -- you might ask someone else for a recommendation if you are interested in a respirator. Otherwise, I believe Jet has a very good dust collection system. That is just my $0.02!

Jonathon

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Start with your lungs first, I went with a Trend Air Shield

Added a Delta 0.5 micro shop air filter.

Of course I also have a dust collector.

Again I would start with a respirator... but just to edit my above comment actually I believe that it is Delta (not Jet) that makes the best dust collection system and is fairly reasonable! -- but I bet that any of those big name dust collection systems would work fairly well... the thing that I heard about them was they they are more chip collectors than dust collectors and that manufacturers test them on somthing that doesn't make a lot of dust!! (ok, that'll be another $0.02)! ;)

Jonathon

Last edited:
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Leslie,

I agree with everyone. Respirator first! I have tried both the trend and the airshield and they both work well.

If you have to scrimp at first, look at something like a Dust B Gone mask and a small dust collector. The Dust B Gone masks have worked much better for me than the little white garbage dust masks hardware stores sell. Those are nearly worthless. Dust B Gone is also comfortable and washable.

On a small dust collector. I bought an inexpensive single state horizontal dust collector from Lowes when it first opened here on the Big Island. Ran me $150. (an upright 2 stage collector will cost you more but might fit your space better? The single stage horizontal worked fine for my needs) The inlet was 4 inches. I placed a T on the 4" inlet and used some 4 inch sewer pipe and an elbow to run one segment up behind the lathe and strapped the pipe to the wall ending a bit below spindle level. Then I "put a lok tite" ball and socket pipe on it long enough so that I could swing and bend that around to whereever I needed it on the lathe (got the lok tite from Woodcraft). It has been very versatile and works well no matter where I position my work on the rail. The lok tite allows me to put the nozzel right up against the wood and it collects nearly all of the dust, but not chips, which is fine with me. The T allowed me to run another run off to my bandsaw and grinder and table saw. I used a set of clear pipe and fittings that Woodcraft offers for a pretty cheap price. It includes gates so you can easily close off everything on the system but what you are working with and maximize suction. Lastly, I splurged and bought a remote control unit for it from Woodcraft so I don't have to keep running over to start and stop it. I keep the remote "fob" clipped to my apron. This has all worked well and was cheap to assemble, and also versatile.

If you have the dollars though I think I would do a Trend or Airshield first though and do the dust collector later.

Hope this helps!

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Leslie S said:
I have about 200 to 300 dollars with which to control dust in my 8 foot by 10 foot shop.

Do you have to control the dust which is currently escaping your shop too? If not then the repirator to protect yourself would be the way to go. Otherwise if you have been requested by the management to keep your cotton-pickin' dust outta my house* then you might want to consider the single stage two bag DC that everyone sells. You can pick up a nice 1hp Delta from Lowes for $200. I have a 1 1/2hp Bridgewood and it has made an incredible difference in the amount of junk I no longer track into the house.

*speaking from personal experience

Website
www.woodturner.org
I have the Trend Air Shield too. Works great! I usually just blow off the filters but occasionally wash them as well.

Whatever you do....don't track shavings into the house. The management might have you setup a bed out in the garage if you do!

A dust collector is a good thing to have. The newer pleated cartridge units get the smaller particles.
A high quality 3m 'paper' dust masks for dry walling works well at a good price.
The Triton powered respirator is another choice for noise, dust and impact protection.
Another cost effective help for the shop air in general is to take a box window fan and put a good quality furnace filter over the front.
I have a Delta 50-875 air cleaner, multi speed, with a timer. Its nice to leave on when working and then set it for another 1/2 or so after I am done in the shop to get some more of the lingering stuff. Important if you finish in the same room you make the dust.

The nice thing is that you can add over time. Start with a vertical dust collector with bags ( or even a shop vac with a clean stream filter), upgrade to cartridge filter. Paper dust mask or dust-be-gone to a powered respirator. Box fan to air cleaner and so on.

mark.

Awww, come on Leslie... go for the Band Saw! You can hold your breathe while turning, but ya gotta have that band saw.

Brian :)

Just kidding of course... I've got a Trend Air Shield and I think its great. Unfortunately my 10-year old son likes to use it while mowing the lawn. Hey..., I'm just happy he's mowing the lawn!

bz

Les,
As I look at your list from a D/C perspective, here's what I see:

Â¥lathe: d/c is very difficult; rely on respirator
Â¥grinder; don't do any collection, too dangerous; rely on respirator
Â¥Bealle system : not much sawdust
Â¥bandsaw: very tough to get good d/c

So, I'd probably get small one and move it from machine to machine.

Joe

All the previous recommendations are the best bet. But, a quick and dirty way is to expel the dust out side your shop. One fellow I know has a whole house fan (3 speed) right back of his lathe. It moves a lot of air and dust out and away from your breathing apparatus. Of course this will only work when the weather (temp) permits. Just a thought.
Hugh

Shop dust collection

I did it exactly backwards from what would do knowing what I know now.

The first thing I purchased was small shop dust collector, I think it was a reliant. Works great for things like the planer, band saw and table saw. Just about anything that make big particles. But still would go into the shop in the morning and find everything covered with a fine dust.

Then I purchased a delta ambient air cleaner. I turn this puppy on when I go into the shop, and when I leave the shop I set its timer to turn it off after a few hours. It worked well, but I found that its filters clogged after a few weeks. What this meant to me was the shop dust collector was leaving way too much stuff in the air.

Next step was to purchase sub-micron bags for the shop dust collector. This relatively inexpensive upgrade made a huge difference. But at this point I had a dust collection system that captured lots of the big stuff and could grab anything that was in the air.

The "in the air" problem is the one that will hurt you, so I finally purchased a Trend Airshield. I was using the 3M masks, but I found that they didn't fit well to be effective. In addition to the on the lathe operations that create dust the AirShield is very effective when using tools like routers, belt sanders and ro sanders.

I should have prioritized my purchases opposite of what I did. I am sure I would have been more comfortable in the shop, and it would have been healthier.

The next item on the DC list is figuring out how to build a downdraft table under under the bed of the lathe.

Whoops, I probably should have mentioned that I do have a respirator. But the dust is taking over the shop and creeping up the stairs into LOML territory. So I was originally thinking that I would get one of the little air filtration do-hickeys that is portable and keep some of the dust down. HHHMMMM. Your comments are all great. Oh one last thing. I have to turn with my ears covered, I wasn't being bothered by noise but if I get dust in my ears I lose my equilbrium and walk around feeling like I can only turn right for a few days. I wont turn when I feel like this so now I work with face/eyes/nose/mouth/head and ears covered. And I do NOT allow cameras in the shop unless they are in my hand! Better safe.

It's my opinion you will never totally eliminate dust. I have a great cyclone dust collector, a powerful exhaust fan in the wall and an air cleaner hanging from the ceiling and still manage to have dust everywhere. Always wear the respirator when you sand and if you can stand it, when you turn as well.

I open up the overhead doors in my shop about once every two weeks, set up an additional exhaust fan in one door and blow out the dust with my air compressor. I spend more time cleaning my shop than I ever thought possible.

So the shop is clean and the cycle starts all over again.

Let the chips fly!

Ed

I have a respirator, DC and air filtration. I got my DC from Harbour Freight for $180. I got the canister filter from Wynn Filters for $80 which is .5 micron. I use a hood and turn it on when sanding. Works pretty good but would still wear a respirator. I have the DC hooked to my table saw, jointer and bandsaw with blast gates. I take it off the jointer and use it when sanding on the lathe.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Like Ed, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning the shop. Even with dust collection there is always wood dust all over. When I get tired of it the garage door (I mean studio doors) get opened and Mr. Leafblower makes things all nice again.

I use the gas powered kind and blow out everything. Make sure to move your cars 100' away or they will get a good coating of dust. Also put away the sandpaper and other loose stuff - or just blow all that out of the garage too! :cool2:

I agree you can never eliinate dust. BUt for me with a basement shop I do need to be able to keep it to a reasonable level. I just need a way to reduce the dust levels and keep in relatively contained. The LOML has asthma. So when the dust levels get severe I hear about it. I can't quite afford ceiling units and a big chip/dust collector. I saw a floor unit that you can move around. Thanks for all the input.

Back