• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yew box and vine maple goblet

Website
www.woodnheart.com
I posted picture in the galley of two pieces I roughed turned on November 20th. The yew box was finshed turned on the 26th and the goblet on the 27th. Both were green when turned and were dried using the alcohol soaking protocol.

There were questions on woodturning forums about turning boxes and goblets from green limbs and drying via alcohol soaking method. I have documented the process I used. Alcohol soaking blog

Comments are welcome.

Dave Smith

The moss on my back is freezing in Longview, WA.

Last edited:
DNA drying

I have read quite a bit about DNA drying and that some turners don't think it works. I too have dad success drying with DNA. I usually just put my pieces in the DNA for a day after rough turning, then in a cardboard box and let them sit 2-3 weeks. No problems thus far. Your goblet with the huge bend in the stem did "turn" out well though.

What about use on fruit woods?

How well does the alcohol drying process work with fruit woods? Does it help with more items being saved, as most fruit woods crack and check so easily?

Website
www.woodnheart.com
chipturner said:
How well does the alcohol drying process work with fruit woods? Does it help with more items being saved, as most fruit woods crack and check so easily?

I believe that question has been answered on the alcohol soaking blog. Travis Stinson turned a bowl from a pear crotch that is pictured in the Turner Feedback section. You may want to peruse the blog for answerers to your question and more.

The worst offenders I have run into are flowering plum and madrona. When I dry pieces from these woods I make sure I have fresh alcohol. The other thing is to turn the pieces less than the 10% rule of thumb. Thinner walls will develop less stress across them during the drying process. Wrapping the out side in paper, as I have prescribed, also contributes to success of the drying process.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Viewing nuclear fusion this morning in Longview. WA

Back