• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yo yo"s

Just as a break I tried making yo yo's-what a blast. If you have some down time,give it a try-fun fuhttp://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8302&d=1427043490&thumb=1&stc=1n fun GaryIMG_20150321_171619_807.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Nice looking yo-yos Gary.......

When I was a kid, there was the Duncan Yo-Yo craze. If someone else's memory is more distinct about it, let me know.....but I think this was the early 1960's when this craze was hot. I remember everyone at school had a yo-yo, and we did all kinds of tricks with them........well, other kids did all kinds of tricks, as my tricks were pretty basic!

Anyway, I was browsing the Packard catalogue the other day and saw some "ball bearing" yo-yo's. At first thought, it occurred to me that ball bearings defeated the "catch" of the string. As I remember, the string looped around the axle which was polished. When you yanked on the string, the loop hung up, and caused the yo-yo to wind the string, which in turn caused the yo-yo to climb up the string. It just didn't seem like an axle that revolved on ball bearings would have the same sort of action to it......

ko

Nice looking yo-yos Gary.......

When I was a kid, there was the Duncan Yo-Yo craze. If someone else's memory is more distinct about it, let me know.....but I think this was the early 1960's when this craze was hot. I remember everyone at school had a yo-yo, and we did all kinds of tricks with them........well, other kids did all kinds of tricks, as my tricks were pretty basic!

Anyway, I was browsing the Packard catalogue the other day and saw some "ball bearing" yo-yo's. At first thought, it occurred to me that ball bearings defeated the "catch" of the string. As I remember, the string looped around the axle which was polished. When you yanked on the string, the loop hung up, and caused the yo-yo to wind the string, which in turn caused the yo-yo to climb up the string. It just didn't seem like an axle that revolved on ball bearings would have the same sort of action to it......

ko
Odie,
Growing up, I played with yo yo's a lot. We didn't have I-pads or computers so we spent our time mindlessly playing. One friend in my turning club started me turning them and it is really a quick release from bowls. I like the solid woods but the laminated ones just have a certain appeal. The will walk the dog, and sleep just like the very expensive ones. Gary

Yo Yo's are fun. The Trans Axle (ball bearing collar) craze came through maybe 15 years ago. Spin till extinction (stop) went from just under a minute with a wood axle to over 5 minutes with the bearing axles. It made all the spin tricks much easier. Now they are doing a lot of 'free' yo yo tricks, more similar to the Chinese yo yo where it isn't attacked to the string. Here is a fun clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4H3icCCiXY

Free string yo yo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P-fdrlBg8

robo hippy

Last edited:
yo yo's and more

check this site i you like turned yo yo's
ed used to do web maintenance for aww if memory serves
yoyospin.com

Back