• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yo-Yo's

Are there any tutorials on turning Yo-Yo's that I might be able to use for a youth turning class?

Biggest secret to turning yo-yos that I found is to weigh the halves of the yo- yo. You need a scale with accuracy down to 1/10 of a gram. Profiles need to be similar, but not exact, which is hard to do. If you use the craft supply trans axle (ball bearing collar on the axle), the two inserts have different weights, so that needs to be taken into consideration. No finish on the inside surfaces of the halves.
robo hippy

Jeff,

I get all my 2" cast acrylic rod for yo-yo turning here: Delvies Cast Rod. Be sure to buy cast rod and not extruded.

BTW, this stuff comes in 4 foot lengths and there is a $35.00 minimum, so if you're only wanting a small piece to try out the process, then send me an email and we'll work something out...I have four or five colors on hand.

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 149
Robo is exactly correct, if you're using a kit. I prefer to make old-school one piece yo-yos from scratch, without a kit...it's a great skill builder and IMHO, yields a more creative and collectable piece.

Attachments

• 9c.jpg
    9c.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 150
Back