Your sandpaper choice above P800??

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jamie Straw, May 10, 2016.

1. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

When you're sanding above P800 (~CAMI 400), what's your favorite sandpaper? I use Abranet to P400, and some foam-backed stuff from Vince for 600 & 800, but not sure where to go from there. Learned yesterday, looking at some exotic-wood boxes, that it can make a difference going up from P800. From what I've read, the black wet/dry paper loads very fast.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    Traditional wet or dry is made for metal and the water slurry helps keep is less loaded.
    Abranet in disks is available to 1000. After that, Abralon is foam backed and comes in (180, 360,500)1000,2000,3000,4000
    but what matters is what the final finish is. If it is buffed, waxed, using an oil, film finish like lacquer, or bare, I would treat each a bit differently in what grit I would sand to. Different woods as well.

if you would like some samples, let me know

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Thanks, Steve, I hadn't seen the Abranet over P600, I'll check out the disks (I have lots of disks in the lower grits from my flat-wood days). Will look into the Abralon also.

4. Steve Worcester

Home Page:
    Abranet in rolls, only goes to 400 and that in 2 3/4"and I think 4" wide. Woodcraft does have an exclusive on 1" wide.
    outside of that, it is disks

5. john lucas

john lucas

I buy the finer grits from thesandingglove.com cuts very clean and lasts amazingly long. I can't remember the brand but Bruce will be glad to tell you what he has.

6. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

I don't use enough right now to do rolls. My last order was for 2.75" x 8" sheets from Supergrit.com I'm sure production turners can't take the time to cut little pieces out, but that's OK for me. Love how long the stuff lasts!

7. Michelle Rich

Michelle Rich

I use brown grocery bags when I want to go REAL high I believe they are equivalent to about 1200.

8. john lucas

john lucas

9. odie

odie

Now there is an idea I've never heard before. Maybe craft paper would be about the same.....?

Like John, I almost never go above 600g for sandpaper, and I'm using the Finkat paper from Japan these days. Often, I'm using 0000 steel wool above that.....used wet with the danish oil.

10. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

I've heard of that , but it really sounds like an old wive's tale to me. Or old, frugal woodworker's tale. Just my opinion.

11. Ron Rutter

Ron Rutter

Jamie. No it is not an old wives tale!! Works very well. Also seems to do a good job on the surface after a sealer.

12. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

No argument from me that it might work well at certain stages of a project, but I just don't buy some kind of grit assignment.

13. Tom brouillette

Tom brouillette

A demonstrator at our club got me going with the brown paper bag. I've been amazed at the results. And the price.

14. john lucas

john lucas

I hear the brown paper bag and the buff with shavings thing all the time. It does work to some degree but you really don't know what your getting. I prefer to step through the grits knowing that I'm getting rid of the previous scratches. I used to do the shavings thing long before I knew what a really well sanded piece looks like. I'll stick with sandpaper and buffing compounds.

15. Steve Worcester

Home Page:
    We sell the roll product by the foot also

16. Zach LaPerriere

Zach LaPerriere

Home Page:
    I powersand through 800 and pretty much always follow up with a 0000 synthetic steel wool. The 0000 really takes it a step further with minimal effort. I bump up the speed a little from slow power sanding, but too fast and it melts. One piece lasts a long time.

On shavings, I've tried it a bit. You need to be careful around sharper edges on rim because they tend to burn a little dark line on edges at medium higher speeds. I'm not sold on shavings.

About 20 years ago I took a few carving classes from a Tlingit elder here in Alaska. His final sand on some of his masks was dog shark skin, which has been used for thousands of years.

17. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Are we talking P800? These days, it seems a good idea to specify, though it could be that FEPA is all we turners use, I dunno. "Dog shark skin" -- now that is cool!

18. Zach LaPerriere

Zach LaPerriere

Home Page:
    Yes, Jamie. P800 if I've been paying attention. I mostly use the greenflex discs from Vince. So far I haven't found a good source for the 0000 synthetic steel wool, just Amazon. But each piece splits into 3, and each third of a piece is good for 10-20 average sized bowls.

I'm not an expert by any means in sanding (understatement of the year) but I also think that sanding through intermediary grits has led to a better finish...ie, not going 80, 120, 180, etc... (Though I thankfully rarely start at 80 anymore) but 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800. Yes I balked at that for a while, but I think it's faster in the end and leads to a better finish. Convinced by Vince. He urged me to try it, and I haven't gone back.

19. Michelle Rich

Michelle Rich

well calling me an old frugal woodturner may be accurate, it is no tale and it works beautifully. I would not have taken the time to pass it on, if I had no experience with it. We old people with 30 yrs experience do know a thing or two.

20. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Last year at SWAT I was keeping Steve busy measuring off ten foot lengths of Abranet while holding up a crowd of customers. I thought that I bought grits higher than 400, but I might be mistaken. I do have Abranet up to 1000, but don't use it very often ... it might be Abranet disks that are the higher grits. I've never tried Abralon, but other people have told me that they really like it.

I normally don't sand bare wood to a higher grit than P400 unless I will be leaving the wood bare which I occasionally do with especially hard wood like mesquite that takes a nice shine without applying a finish. When I go to high grits, I generally use Micromesh all the way up to 12,000 grit. I also use the Micromesh when I want a high gloss lacquer finish.

I've always preferred hand sanding off the lathe for anything over 150 grit, but I recently injured my right shoulder to the point that I can barely use a turning tool, so I guess that power sanding is now in my future. I assumed that I was still invincible and couldn't get repetitive motion injuries. Dang, this getting old and wearing out. :(