• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Youth Symposium in NH

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Memorial Day weekend the New England Woodturners had their symposium, one day, Sat. On Fri. from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., they had a Youth Symposium that was free to teens (and younger), they had 4 or 5 known turners demonstrating and provided lunch (pizza and drinks). Adults were allowed (at no charge) but they had to be with a kid.

I took my grandson, Derek (14), who also helped me in my booth (he's a born salesman!). Over the years Derek has played a little on my mini lathe but not much to speak of. Well now he wants to be a turner and I gave him my Jet Mini. There were 3 groups at the show, our group had Graem Oaks (local turner), Mary Lacer and Mark St. Ledger. Derek loved them all.

At the show, I took him to Doug Thompson's booth to show him the various tools.........nothing but the best for my grandson! Later Doug presented Derek with 2 tools he felt he really needed.........now isn't that just like Doug!?!? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 46

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Nope, the "thumbprints" (thumbnails) are setup so a large picture doesn't drag out the page. If you click on them, they will open in a new window.

The numbers at the bottom tell the reader how large the actual picture is in pixels (the dots on the screen).

Website
www.thompsonlathetools.com
I did sit in on Mark's demo, the kids really enjoyed the show. This would a good thing to do for your local shop classes...

Ruth, he's a good kid and we'll find out how well he's learning at the next show.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Nope, the "thumbprints" (thumbnails) are setup so a large picture doesn't drag out the page. If you click on them, they will open in a new window.

The numbers at the bottom tell the reader how large the actual picture is in pixels (the dots on the screen).

...and I've been calling them Pixies....... :eek: Been blaming them for all my computer problems. :D

Nice young man Ruth

It was a pleasure to meet Derek and to see you again Ruth. And hey, any 14 yr old boy who wants to travel and hang out with his grandmother for the weekend at a woodturning event just HAS to be OK !

Back