• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Youth Turning

:cool2:I am extremely excited to share two emails that I received this past week about AAW youth programs. The first email comes from the Umpqua Turning Club. For the past couple of years, two turning club members have been volunteering at the Roseburg, Oregon High School. They use a pen project to teach students ripping, cutting, drilling, and gluing prior to starting a lathe. In the past, after the pen project was completed, they used a 14â€x3â€x3†maple blank to teach the remaining turning tools. Although the students completed the task oriented project, there wasn’t as much excitement as with the pens. When the AAW announced the Young Turners Program, they adopted and modified it, using the projects provided to teach the different tool skills in place of the maple block. Not only has the club donated and helped secure quality equipment for the school, they have two students that regularly attend club meetings and others starting to show up.

The second email comes from a relatively new AAW chapter, the Waxhaw Woodturners from Waxhaw, NC. In just their second year, the chapter just approved a youth program and already have four students ready, able, and willing to participate. The Waxhaw Woodturners are looking forward to a great way of giving to the community and helping kids in their area. Their first class is already slated for November 16th.

Does your club have a youth program? I maintain my challenge to every AAW club to start a Young Turners Program if you don’t have one already. Not only is it a rewarding experience for your club members, but your providing an educational and confidence building experience to the kids. For more information go to the AAW website’s community page and click on the Young Turners Program. (http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/)

I am a member of the Umpqua woodturners, also the Beaver State woodturners (Eugene), and the Willamette Valley woodturners (Salem). Thus far, the Eugene club isn't involved in the highschools. The Salem club just started working with North Salem Highschool. I just love seeing the kids come out. If I had woodshop available to me, I would have had one class besides PE in which I would have gotten straight A's.
robo hippy

Youth Turning - Columbus, Ohio

The Central Ohio Woodturners in Columbus, Ohio have "adopted" 24 students at the Village Academy in Powell, Ohio There are three classes with 8 students each. Two of the classes are high school students and the third class is made up of all 6th graders. They meet daily with their wood art teacher, Frank Moore who has now joined AAW as well as our local club. Members Walt Betley, Chuck Kemp, Bruce Kerns, Devon Palmer and myself have spent several days mentoring the students and introducing a variety of new projects. I am pleased to report that all 24 of these students have completed both the honey dipper and spin top projects to earn their first level of certification. Many of them have already completed four or more of the projects from the second list. It is their goal to all complete the second certificate by the end of the first semester. These kids have been a blast to work with. Their enthusiasm and creativity is truely refreshing.

Barbara Crockett
President
Central Ohio Woodturners

Back