• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

100 plus year barn board Half Round Oak Table

Hello once again everyone When we moved into our new house there was an old shelf unit in the basement made from rough sawn Oak timbers; the house was built in 1900 and I don't know how long this shelf was there they used it for storing mason jars; Anyway I took it out and planed down the boards to see what I had, Wormy Oak w / a very dark color so I made this table for our dining room. The table was just finished w/ shellac.

Bruce

Attachments

• 100_7009.JPG
    100_7009.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_7010.JPG
    100_7010.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_7012.JPG
    100_7012.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 44
very nice.......pretty wood.......I like half round

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Great looking table. It's nice to salvage old wood especially when there is some historical connection to its new life. How about some more details like joinery, etc. I assume that you turned the legs from the same piece of wormy oak. It looks like a perfect match. I would guess that the semicircular top was done with a bandsaw and/or router.

It's been a while since I have done any flat woodworking, but I still am very interested in it. I have the top to a kitchen table that was given to me. I plan to turn legs and then donate it to a local charity. It's been about ten years and so far I have turned one of the legs. :rolleyes: The others have been roughed to cylinders, but that's where things stalled.

Great looking table. It's nice to salvage old wood especially when there is some historical connection to its new life. How about some more details like joinery, etc. I assume that you turned the legs from the same piece of wormy oak. It looks like a perfect match. I would guess that the semicircular top was done with a bandsaw and/or router.

It's been a while since I have done any flat woodworking, but I still am very interested in it. I have the top to a kitchen table that was given to me. I plan to turn legs and then donate it to a local charity. It's been about ten years and so far I have turned one of the legs. :rolleyes: The others have been roughed to cylinders, but that's where things stalled.
Sure Bill I ended up w/ about 10 boards 1 1/4" x 10" x 6' very rough timbers after running them threw the planer they were 1" I glued two together 32" long then ripped them out for the legs; the first was turned from my mind then marks transfered to the other two; I lay the finished one on a small shelf in front of my lathe behind the leg being cut and copied it. Not perfect but very close;these are my first long spindles. the top is not a circle it's an ellipse made by bending a very long piece of spruce 1/4" x 1/4" to make the curve, I had to edge glue two boards together w/ biscuts / splines then on to the band saw; then belt sander. I then made the build up by tracing the top and cut 3" bands w/ notches to except the legs; these were glued on to the top & flush routed to match. Then the legs were doweled threw the front and at an angle from behind and glued in place. The finish was Shellac applied w a brush.

Bruce

Back