• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

16" tool rest

I have a Nova DVR lathe. Banjo has a 1" opening for the tool rest.
Need a longer reach than the stock 12".
Wondering if anyone knows sources for something in the 14" or 16" variety

I've found a couple but one looked a bit flimsy & the other would break my wallet

Thanks,

If you are a member of the Cheapskates Turning Society, you can fine old, used, iron tool rests on Ebay. In the olden days, you could get them for a good price, but I'm not sure about today's world. In reality, the Robust/Robo Hippy/Sinner tool rests are SO much better than the old iron ones that my strong recommendation would be to keep saving your pennies until you can afford one.

I have a Nova DVR Galaxi as well along with the Robust J rest. I think it works very well for the pieces I’ve been able to squeeze onto the lathe.

That said, one additional source to potentially look into is the International Association of Penturners site and contact Rick Harrell. He makes custom rests, among many other accessories for the lathe. He has a great reputation and will work with you to make exactly what you need. I’ve personally gotten a few things from him and have been nothing but pleased with every aspect of dealing with Rick.

I’ve been using the Robust J rest - the larger version, about 15” - for the last few years. Its my go to for larger bowls. Recently, I got the new Robust S-curve rest. It’s about 14” long and works beautifully on the inside of larger open form bowls (I do a fair amount of those). It also works beautifully on the outside of bowls for shear scraping. The vertical ‘blade‘ allows the handle to be dropped dramatically - a problem with most other rests, at least for me. This can be used in either front or back facing positions for shear scraping. I’ve found it to be the most useful rest in my arsenal. A new favorite.

I make my own as I have an arc welder, so length is never an issue. I am just in the process of make a 14" tool rest, generally I make them out of old 25 or 30mm linear bearing rods normally they are hardened and hollow with a wall thickness of 6 to 8mm. Alternately 25mm square bar in high tensile, its in a black finish and is very tough very hard to mark or nick.

Back