• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2005 AWSA Pictures

Mustard Monster

Hi Mark,

I got home yesterday and unloaded part of the lathe. Today I cleaned out a path to roll the lathe into the shop (it came with an industrial mobile base) and I had to disconnect the heavy motor from the head stock to move it from the truck to the shop, because I had to do it alone.

Seems like a neat machine. Looks like new. The machine is a newer model and it has a through hole in the tail stock. The stand is drilled and tapped on the tail side for an extension and the head end is drilled as well, but not tapped. This might come in handy in the future.

Now it is fully connected, installed, checked out and ready to turn.

I will cut up some Osage Orange next week and see if it is wet or dry :) I'll let you know.

The best part of the lathe acquisition trip was the time I spent with a great instructor. Jeff Jilg lives 10 miles from the guy that I got the lathe from and Jeff gave me a Powermatic 3520A orientation as well as a graduate level turning orientation. I now know just how much I don't know and how much experience I need to get from lathe time.

Jeff also suggested that I put some loctite on the set screws that hold the pullys and spindle lock. I did that while the head stock and motor were on the transfer table.

Clem

Back