• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2006 symposium

Website
www.woodturner.org
The online registration is now available. And I kid you not. Within 10 minutes of me posting it, someone registered online. There's plenty of room for all y'all at the symposium too!
- Also posted a blurb on the homepage.
- Also posted all the details in the travel and hotel section

2006 page

First Symposium

Jeff

My lovely and generous wife will join me in Louisville. I get the impression that the my decision is banquet ticket or attending spouse ticket. Attending spouse ticket gets her into the demos and the banquet, correct? I think she would enjoy seeing some demos. I don't expect her to attend many but a few. What the advise of some symposium veterens and succesfully married turners on this topic. $90 difference ain't a big deal but it could buy a nice piece of burl or something if I don't buy the attending spouse ticket.

Also I notice the volunteer choice on the online registration. Jeff tell us more about that opportunity.

Thanks
Frank

Website
www.woodturner.org
Frank

Some of the answers are posted in this earlier thread

Basically everything is open to the public except the banquet and demos. Some of the demos are inspirational (i.e. how to design, creative process, etc), and some are instructions (i.e. how to turn this, how to carve this, etc).

It is likely that Theresa will accompany to this year's symposium. She already hears enough about woodturning from me. :cool2: So we'll probably get her on one or two of the volunteer groups, and one of the daily spouse tours.

Next thing is someone will ask "what are the spouse tours for this year". That is still getting worked out, and it will get posted on the site when known. Generally they are half day trips out and about doing different things.

Volunteering:
1) There is a checkbox on the online form, which you should check if you or your spouse is interested in helping.
2) If you have already registered but that box was not checked and you are interested in helping then please send an email to inquiries@woodturner.org or just call the AAW office at 651-484-9094.

There are 15-20 different subgroups of volunteers. Examples are:
- demo room volunteers (75 needed)
- video helpers
- setup helpers
- staffing the AAW product booth
- checking in pieces at the instant gallery
- checking them back out
- and a bunch of other stuff

None of the jobs are particularly taxing and all the past volunteers have helped us create some great symposiums. Every contribution helps.

Frank,

My advice FWIW...spent the $90 on your lovely and generous wife. My wife Carol and I attended our first last year in KC and she really enjoyed it. By day two she was picking out which demos she wanted to see. She loved the juried show and the instant gallery as well and now has a much greater interest in turning. So much so that when my new lathe comes in she wants to start on the old one. Well worth the bucks in my opinion.

See you there.

Thanks Cyril

Cyril
I needed your vote of confidence to do what I already knew was a good decision. Thanks
Frank

'Woodturner's wives are the best people in the world'

Back