• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

what sites are being considered for 2014? rumours....wishes......

Well,, for the wood vendors sake,, hopefully somewhere with minimal wood restrictions,,, good luck on that one tho... I think last year brought a few problems for some of them...........

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Picture of AAW membership and symposiums 2010 - 2013

This is map that shows AAW membership by geographic regions.
the US Census Bureau. Shown are metro areas, combine metro areas, or counties that have more than 10 AAW members.

The circles are 600 miles from the Hartford and St Paul Symposiums and the planned San Jose and Tampa Symposiums. It isn't a perfect scheme but members living in one of the circles are a days drive from that symposium.

Al

Attachments

• metro 1.jpg
    metro 1.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 118
I think Atlanta would be a wonderful venue ...

I think Atlanta was originally scheduled for this year but was dropped when it appeared that the facility could not handle size that the AAW Symposium has taken on. IIRC, the banquet space was too limited (less than 1,500) and there were not enough demo rooms.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
As far as Texas goes I don't know how you could beat SWAT.
Bill

You can't beat SWAT, but AAW hasn't been in Texas since San Antonio in 1997 (my 1st).
Austin would be fantastic

Last edited:
Myrtle beach has the facilities and great food too. Just saying it would be a great place!! Plus your significant others would enjoy the beach...

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Myrtle beach has the facilities and great food too. Just saying it would be a great place!! Plus your significant others would enjoy the beach...

With 2013 in Florida, don't count on it.

Most likely someplace in the mid-west/north-east.

Normally 2014 is announced about the time that the 2012 is held

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Brian McInturff said:

N7 has good point. Maybe 2018.
I am not familiar with the myrtle beach airport. A small airport and sparse AAW populations are negatives.

Austin, Houston, Dallas, Denver, have 200+ AAW members within an hour's drive and good air connection to the rest of the US.
Remember AAW is a volunteer organization.

Volunteers put on SWAT and volunteers put on the AAW.
AAW follows the 80 20 rule where 20% do 80% of the work.

Al

Yeah, just wishful thinking on my part.
The airport is misleading.tons of flights in here on daily basis. Plus they are adding another 7 gates. Actually the runway is the 3rd longest on the east coast as an alternate landing strip for the Space Shuttle. The airport is on the old Myrtle Beach AFB is why. But facility wise they could handle it too as they have numerous conferences here. When you live in a hospitality area with no industry then that's what they target. Golf capital of the world and Redneck riviera. Actually I'll be glad when my job here is finished so they can relocate me somewhere else. Hopefully back home to Knoxville Tn.

Chicago or St Louis would be a nice centralized location. The Chicago area and suburbs have dozens of venues big enough to handle the AAW syposium.

Website
www.tobinhillturning.com
Actually,

San Antonio would not be a bad location again. It has better convention facilities than Austin, easier to get around and has more motels/hotels, and the downtown is very pedestrian friendly, family friendly, tons of restaurants all within walking distance, and best of all I live on the north end of downtown. :D

Alan

Back