• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

24" swing for under $1500

20" swing for under $1500

I'll tell ya, I'm not looking to buy one, but i am curious if anyone has had any experience with this 7 footer; the Grizzly g0456 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0456. it looks like quite the deal, only reason i didnt get it was because it's just way to big to move anywhere. i think youd need a towtruck! :p

Last edited:
You might note that this is not a "true" 24" swing. It's 24 1/2 over the gap in the bed below the spindle and if you look at that gap "it ain't much".

It's Called

Griesbach said:
You might note that this is not a "true" 24" swing. It's 24 1/2 over the gap in the bed below the spindle and if you look at that gap "it ain't much".

"Selling It," Cyril. Now if somebody wasn't reading carefully like you, bet they'd sure be up in arms when a 20" lathe and 12" sander combination with a no torque DC motor arrived, eh? Think they might be a bit more upset when they found out that the machine's bearings were UNsealed ball types rather than sealed roller bearings to carry the weight of a 20" swing? Sander griit ought to make short work of them.

Now, who's got the guts to mount a 20" log on there spindle-fashion, spin it at 500 rpm, and stand in front of that thing to rough it down? :eek:

Ah, waiter? Full body armor and my check, please. . . .

Mark ;)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I like Grizzly so I hope no one takes this the wrong way. It seems that Grizzly is doing what Sears did or does in that they come up with a bunch of nice sounding gadgets to put on the tool so it will sell but never actually did any market research to see if these gadgets are needed or will even work.
My wife used to work for sears so naturally I bought a lot of thier tools. Having used them for many years I can truthfully tell you that craftsman power tools are junk.
I don't think Grizzly tools are junk. I actually think they are pretty decent tools but in the case of this lathe, they simply don't understand what we as turners need. They did manage to put together a package that sounds really good on paper.
Gosh I didn't mean that to sound like a Rant. I think Grizzly is in a position to market a really decent lathe at a decent price if they would listen to the woodturners and design one based on ideas from people who use them every day.

John,

Many of their tools have fared pretty well in side-by-sides with other makers in their price ranges, so you need not apologize. Most of them have been working on very slight changes in component designs, and, of course, different colors. But what they did with this lathe is beyond me. They've taken an old Delta gap-bed design and tried to compete with JET in the price range. Since Griz has been a fairly savvy marketer, I cannot understand how they got the idea that a DC driven antiquated design would compete with a infinitely variable speed, A/C inverter powered sliding head lathe like JET's 1642 merely because of increased swing. Add to that the funky (solid?) spindle size, high minimum speed (and low max) plus that silly disc sander, and you've got a bus-wreck in the marketing department.

Did somebody happen to dig up a bunch of old Delta lathe castings and try to figure out what to do with them?

Okay, so even the Mighty Casey struck out (obligatory Louisville reference there) once in a while. :D

M

What about this Griz?

Can't speak for Grizzly because I have never owned anything from them. But, if one is really stuck on buying from them, for whatever reason, he/she might want to consider this lathe from Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0462. Anyone out there have this one or seen a review about it?

I would be interested to hear a review also

I was looking for a little bit of an upgrade from my 12" jet, this is definetely in the right price range. Shane

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
In this thread the Grizzly G0462 lathe was mentioned. In my opinion the cast iron tool rest, banjo and extension is an accident waiting to happen. Take a good size chunk of wood, get a catch and boom there it goes. Wear your face shield and armour. GT

georgetroy said:
In this thread the Grizzly G0462 lathe was mentioned. In my opinion the cast iron tool rest, banjo and extension is an accident waiting to happen. Take a good size chunk of wood, get a catch and boom there it goes. Wear your face shield and armour. GT

George,

Maybe we're miissing a real business opportunity here; body armor for woodturners! Then again, maybe not. It's hard enough to get people to wear face shields and a minimal dust mask. Full Samurai-style might not be commercially feasible.

Would look cool as all getout, though!!! :cool2:

M

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gosh I don't know Mark. I think Bamboo body armor would be perfect for a wood turner. I'm thinking Samari here. We've already got a long sword, er gouge. I think when you finish a vessel that graceful return of the gouge into the scabbard (or whatever it's called in Samari) would be the perfect ending to a good demo.

john lucas said:
Gosh I don't know Mark. I think Bamboo body armor would be perfect for a wood turner. I'm thinking Samari here. We've already got a long sword, er gouge. I think when you finish a vessel that graceful return of the gouge into the scabbard (or whatever it's called in Samari) would be the perfect ending to a good demo.

Don't know, John. I keep coming up with flashbacks to Belushi and SNL . . .

Jordan's little shear scraper wouldn't stand a chance!

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !! :D :D

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
Mark with your heavy Iron and mine we don't have any worry in the lathe department. Now about that face shield, I hope you read Wear your helmut or EYE else in Woodcentral turning. I need heavy armor when doing ripping of wood sticks for segmented turning, who wants to get poked in the stomach. I have the head end covered now with a Triton. GT

georgetroy said:
Mark with your heavy Iron and mine we don't have any worry in the lathe department. Now about that face shield, I hope you read Wear your helmut or EYE else in Woodcentral turning. I need heavy armor when doing ripping of wood sticks for segmented turning, who wants to get poked in the stomach. I have the head end covered now with a Triton. GT

Yup, saw that. You were damn lucky it was only small stuff. Now if you'd blown a ring and had chunks flying . . .

[Like the man said, wear your freakin' helmut]

M

Website
www.woodturner.org
Yep, darned lucky. Thanks for sharing the injury report George. Glad you didn't lose an eye or get hurt any worse.

I've read too many of these stories in the last several years. I NEVER turn on the lathe unless my faceshield is on. That includes sanding.

underdog said:
Don't see that thread over there guys. Point me to it?

Jim, Go to the Turning forum then either scroll down to 20 Feb. at 1:19pm or do a CTRL F search for "EYE" which will take you right to it.

Little Bit of an Upgrade

Shane,

Why a little? If you're a fairly serious turner, you'll outgrow it in a month. Save money and wait until you can afford a 1642.

A little because....

I am not quite as into turning as I am other stuff (such as furniture type work). So I have a jointer that needs upgraded to an 8", a compound mitre saw that needs upgraded to a slider, a planer that needs upgraded to a 20", a shop that needs built (currently in a two car garage), and want a bigger bandsaw mill. So the big fancy expensive lathe is behind all that, Lifes short and I am sick of having my biggest round be 12". I figure I could sell my jet for $200 and upgrade a little for now for a couple hundred more. So I was just wondering if that was a decent lathe. Thanks, Shane

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Steelheader I'm there also but since I'm a turner the lathe was the first thing I upgraded. I just got a new planer. Now I'm looking at building a dedicated carving area. After that I'll start on the table saw and jointer. I'm saving for a decent disc sander and belt sander now.

Back