• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Setting up a PM 3520B

I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a Powermatic 3520B, and I'm wondering if one person can move the component parts, assemble them, and otherwise set the machine up. Has anyone done this alone? Can one person carry the headstock? Can I move the legs and the bed, individually, on a two-wheel dolly? If I turn the bed upside down and bolt on the legs, can I then lift it to the upright position? I would appreciate any advice.

Bill

Website
www.aoturnings.com
Question is how strong are you?

The bed alone is atleast 200 lbs. (maybe 250) each leg is probably a 100 each. The headstock is about 150.

All these are just my rough estimation...remember that the headstock is awkward to handle and it is tough to slide the lock in the first try. I cringe of the though of one dropping it.

I won't recommend this done by one person only. Try to get help if at all possible.

Good luck!!!

This is how I did it by myself.

I bought a used 3520A and the previous owner and his rugged 20 something son loaded it into my pickup. We had taken the headstock and tailstock off and loaded it into the back seat of the pickup. The bed and legs were seperated and loaded into the bed of the pickup. The loading part was easy.

When I got it home the thinking began. I have a work cart on wheels that was a little shorter than the inside of the bottom of the ways when it is on it's legs. So, I rolled the cart to the back of the pickup and brought both of the legs into the shop. I stood the legs up against the wall and went for the ways. I put the cart at the back of the pickup and slid the ways onto the cart. Pushed the cart into the shop and slipped a couple of 2 X 4's under the ways while it was on the cart. Then I put one set of legs under the ways and connected it to the ways with the supplied bolts. I did the same with the other set of legs and now I had a stand that I moved off toward the edge of the cart and slid the 2 X 4's out from under it. After rolling the cart away I had a free standing ways on legs.

Getting the tail stock on the ways was easy but the headstock was another story. It was in the back seat of my pickup and in addition to being heavy is was also ackward. I decided to take the motor off of the headstock and it made it doable, although still heavy. I put the motorless headstock on the cart and shimmed it up a little and slid it onto the ways. I then mounted the motor, checked all of the connections and fired it up. Everything was good to go.

Havig said all of that I would strongly recommend having a helper, even using the method I did, because of the safety factor and you probably wouldn't have to disconnect the motor.

I don't know how it is shipped from the factory but if you have or could borrow an engine hoist, you would ease the load on your back.

Clem

I've done one on my own, but it was a struggle. I used a motor hoist, which is a helper who doesn't drink beer or eat my bar-b-que.
I'm now older, the arthritis is much worse and I'd do it again if I had that motor hoist. They're also great for lifting logs in and out of your truck, lifting parts onto your lathe, etc. I'm shopping for one right now. Harbor Freight, here I come.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
You just spent on the order of $2500 on a lathe. Do you really want to drop the headstock and possibly dammage it? Is it worth it?

My 3520A came assembled on a pallet, but I got someone to give me a hand getting it off the pallet. The last thing I wanted to do was somehow tip it over while moving it off.

Website
www.almather.com
I did it, almost by myself. I used a chain host to lift parts off my trailer and set them on the floor. A two wheel dolley to get them into my shop, same floor. And a couple of saw horses & the chain host to get things back together. I did get my wife to help with putting the head stock back on. Another pair of hands to line things up and push it on at just the right time was handy.

I also took my time, try to think each step though, like - is the chain host hooked to something strong enough, is the strap really secure, will the controller swing and crash into anything? etc.

Wish you well.

Bill Siler said:
I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a Powermatic 3520B, and I'm wondering if one person can move the component parts, assemble them, and otherwise set the machine up. Has anyone done this alone? Can one person carry the headstock? Can I move the legs and the bed, individually, on a two-wheel dolly? If I turn the bed upside down and bolt on the legs, can I then lift it to the upright position? I would appreciate any advice.

Bill

Yes, you can do it. But a little help makes it much easier and safer( for both you and the machine.)

I did my 3520A alone. As the others have said, strip it down to basic components. The only part I was very concerned with was the electronic controller. It hangs out there behind the head stock and would be easy damage if you are not careful. I left the bracket for the safety cage in place to give some little protection to the controller. The others have all done the heaviest part, the bed, basically the same way by setting the bed on some sort of a stable platform and attaching the legs. I used a solid pair of saw horses.
Good luck and take your time.

Big help from came my Powerwagon, was able to slide it off the truck bed onto the powerwagon drive into the shop to its final location lift one end up and attach a leg. Then do the other leg the same way. Son showed up just in time to help put the legs on. it would have been possible to do myself but I'm glad he showed up. Backed the wagon out and away and plugged the 3520B in. The picture is of the second load the legs, extension and accessories had already been transported to the shop

Last edited:
Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had the help of a friend and it was still a stuggle. The headstock is heavy and very clumsy. You can hurt yourself moving it. The legs were 87lbs apiece. The bed was 250 lbs I believe. 2 people can handle it pretty well a piece at a time.

I assemble mine yesterday, by myself. I removed the tailstock and toolrest, moved the headstock to the middle, turned it on its side(padded the controls with a couple of towels), attached the legs. I wrapped a strap around the middle of the bed and pulled it upright with a cable winch. I had to screw some bocks to the floor so the legs stop against something as it lifted. Easier than I thought, there's no way I could have lifted it upright by myself.
Good luck,
Clancy

Thanks for all the advice

The lathe arrived this afternoon. A friend helped me, and we got it set up and ready to go in about two hours. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

One person can but two and some lifting devices are better

I bought one last Fall, and a friend and I put it together relatively quickly, but..... For moving it and putting it on the stand etc., I used a hydraulic table which I had purchased at HF on sale. An earlier message on this thread mentioned getting one. They're incredibly useful around the shop anyway, so.... Good luck. HB

heavy lathe

When I got mine home, I uncrated in on the trailer and rolled the individual parts into my shop. I purchased an engine lift from Northern Tool to set the heavy parts together. It was about all I could do to lift the legs by themselves, let alone the bed or headstock. Even though I used the engine lift only once, it was worth it for two reasons: 1. I could not have done it by myself, and 2. the engine hoist has gone up about $30 so when I sell it, maybe I'll get more money back.

Bill,
I'm 5'7" 155 libs 67yo. I moved the entire 3520b into my basement by myself. This required going up 3 steps to a 90 degree right turn down a bunch of steps to an immediate left, down more steps to an immediate right into the shop.

I used a small & medium sized dolliy from Harbor Freight that I used to move my Grizzly 0514X2 into same shop. I put the ways face down on the floor and mounted the legs upside down. My skinny wife helped get it upright, and same skinny wife helped get the headstock up. Skinny wife is 103 lbs just barely. The problem with the headstock was more about getting a grip on it then the weight, which was not trivial by any means.

I think the trick is to forget about what it weights. The boxes are packed in a very utilitarian way so unpacking is easy. Using 2 dollies, you can move the lathe anywhere you want. If you have a good understanding of levers then you could assemble the entire lathe yourself (without a skinny wife).

To paraphrase Martin Yan, "If I can do it, So can You!"

After you do this you will be a certified Lathe Gorilla.

Sincerely hope none of you hurt yourselves doing that heavy lifting and carrying. Back trouble is no fun. I can lift 100 cases of beer by myself --- if I lift it 12 ounces at a time, and it takes a real long time.

Back