• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520 18” Extension

I have a 3520 lathe in trying to sell. It has a18” extension on it. People keep asking me to sell them just the extension. This sounds crazy to me. They can buy the package and sell the rest of the parts on their own I don’t want to sell just what’s left.

As the seller, it is your prerogative.

Funny, just last night I was at the house of a turner from my club, who has a 3520 with extension and the swing away. We were discussing the fact I have neither. The conclusion we came up with was it would probably be better to buy a full package, and sell my existing 3520 than shell out the money for those two accessories new. I'll add that I have the 3520a, so there would be a minor upgrade going to the B or C versions, particularly if well optioned, and at a good price.

Bottom line, as a buyer, I'd be much more interested in your machine WITH the extension, than just the lathe.

Hey Matt

i am one of those that asked about buying the extension, the reason i asked is because i have a 3520b i am happy with, so im thinking it is much easier to buy the extension than to buy the lathe and all and then have to move it around and store it until it sells, then move it again when sold, i have a homemade extension that works, but its not the best so im always looking for a used one, new they are around 500.00 ill stick with what ive got for that much

as Kirk said it up to you, i was just asking

As the seller, it is your prerogative.

Funny, just last night I was at the house of a turner from my club, who has a 3520 with extension and the swing away. We were discussing the fact I have neither. The conclusion we came up with was it would probably be better to buy a full package, and sell my existing 3520 than shell out the money for those two accessories new. I'll add that I have the 3520a, so there would be a minor upgrade going to the B or C versions, particularly if well optioned, and at a good price.

Bottom line, as a buyer, I'd be much more interested in your machine WITH the extension, than just the lathe.
Hey Matt

i am one of those that asked about buying the extension, the reason i asked is because i have a 3520b i am happy with, so im thinking it is much easier to buy the extension than to buy the lathe and all and then have to move it around and store it until it sells, then move it again when sold, i have a homemade extension that works, but its not the best so im always looking for a used one, new they are around 500.00 ill stick with what ive got for that much

as Kirk said it up to you, i was just aski
Hey Matt

as Kirk said it up to you, i was just asking
I have had several asking about it. 1 or two I get but more than that is odd. So not referring to any one person.

Just sold a 3520B and it included the extension with the sale. I don't believe it was the deal maker in the sale. While, I had the extension built into the price I got, the buyer would have likely bought the lathe without it. He was stepping up to a 3520 from a much smaller lathe.

Flipside, the extension is heavy and would have qualified for local pickup only in my case. I would not have messed with shipping it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I bought an extension from a guy. The shipping on those things is rediulous so being able to buy it locally was a plus. Of course it's up to you if you want to sell them seperately.

Back