• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520 tailstock quill locking

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have always had this problem on my 3520A. Just saw it twice on 3520C's at the symposium. If you crank the tailstock quill all the way back it locks up the handwheel and takes a lot of force to release it. You learn not to fo that but still every once in a while it happens. I decided to solve the problem. The problem happens because the 2 mating surfaces are very precise so it's kind of like snapping your chuck against the spindle face. Takes a fair amount of effort to break it free. I turned a washer made from UHMW and it stops the problem. I think any fiber or plastic would work.

20220812_071603.jpg

20220812_071047.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Great solution, but I suspect that the reason for sticking so tightly is that the two mating surfaces don't quite perfectly match. That would lead to some deformation where the two surfaces meet.

How did you manage to get the piece of UHMW to stick to the block of wood?

I have always had this problem on my 3520A. Just saw it twice on 3520C's at the symposium. If you crank the tailstock quill all the way back it locks up the handwheel and takes a lot of force to release it. You learn not to fo that but still every once in a while it happens. I decided to solve the problem. The problem happens because the 2 mating surfaces are very precise so it's kind of like snapping your chuck against the spindle face. Takes a fair amount of effort to break it free. I turned a washer made from UHMW and it stops the problem. I think any fiber or plastic would work.

View attachment 46049

View attachment 46050
Thanks, John ... I've been futzing around trying to figure out a fix for this problem!

View attachment 46049

View attachment 46049

View attachment 46050
I own a PM 3520-C. I learned the "hard way" that when you spin the hand wheel on the tail stock and the quill re-tracks rapidly and comes to a sudden it will jam. In my case, I learned how to take the tail stock assembly completed apart. Now, I no longer spin the hand wheel.rapidly.

I ran into that ejecting a drill chuck with a slightly short taper on my 3520C. Glad to know there's an easy solution.

Off hand, does anyone know the diameter of the 3520C's lead screw?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ever since I've owned my Powermatic 3520A if you crank the tailstock all the way back it locks up and really hard to turn the handwheel. Consequently I try to not do that. Hasn't been a major problem but at the symposium I noticed 2 instructors had their 3520C tailstock quill lock up. Fortunately I was there and quickly told them what to do to stop it from happening. So I thought it was time to solve the problem once and for all. Turns out the problem is really good machining. The back of the quill hits the flat area on the threaded rod and locks up much like when you twist your chuck onto the headstock spindle. It can be hard to get the chuck off without using the chuck key as a lever. The solution is quite simple. Add a fiber or plastic washer between the quill and the back of the treaded rod. While testing my theory on my friend 3520C I noticed that on his lathe with an aftermarket live center the quill is almost all the way back and locks up really easy because that Acme thread really pushes the quill. On that lathe the with that aftermarket live center a really thin washer would be needed. You could cut one from the plastic on a milk jug and it would probably work fine. I may send this tip to Powermatic as well. Its very easy to remove the handwheel and pull the whole quill assembly out do to this fix.

Attachments

• tailstock washer.jpg
    tailstock washer.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 21

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
An O-ring may or may not work. The O-ring may be too thick, which could effect operation of the self-eject.

I just completed John's fix ... I cut a piece from a plastic milk carton, attached it to a wooden drive block with double-face tape, and used a thin parting tool to cut a 1-1/4" washer with a 5/8" hole. Installed the washer over the lead screw and re-installed the quill assembly in the tail stock ... works like a charm!

Someone in another thread suggested using an O-ring, but that may or may not work. The O-ring may be too thick, which could effect operation of the self-eject.

I just completed John's fix ... I cut a piece from a plastic milk carton, attached it to a wooden drive block with double-face tape, and used a thin parting tool to cut a 1-1/4" washer with a 5/8" hole. Installed the washer over the lead screw and re-installed the quill assembly in the tail stock ... works like a charm!

Thanks so much for this easy fix John! Just did it with a piece of a Clorox bottle and worked as you suggest. Yes, absolutely suggest it to Powermatic! It’s been a frustrating problem on an otherwise solid as a rock machine.

Back