• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520a upgraded!

A few weeks ago my old Powermatic 3520a spindle lock broke and the part is no longer supported. So I found a guy who could fabricate a new one—made of steel instead of cast iron and able to lock every 90 degrees instead of 180. He asked me if I wanted anything else—he’s a mechanical and electrical wizard.

So he changed the bearings, changed the belt, added a tachometer so I can now see rpm without having to convert from the VFD reading, and made the new VFD detachable with a 5 foot cord so it can be kept some distance from the lathe to avoid wood dust and allow me to bring the VFD inside the garage when not in use, since my lathe is outside. It’s like brand new! It’s a dream. He’s in Orange County, an amazing guy, Ex-Marine physician who now owns a fabrication shop and just does what he wants.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Pretty cool. I have modified my 3520A. I rigged the start stop button in its own box with an extension. I drilled and tapped the leg on one side do I could lower the bed like the b and c do. I just swapped the tailstock quill for a C s

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Pretty cool. I have modified my 3520A. I rigged the start stop button in its own box with an extension. I drilled and tapped the leg on one side do I could lower the bed like the b and c do. I just swapped the tailstock quill for a C

John, the idea of moving the start button on a tether is a smart one. Filing that away for sometime in the future.

How big a deal was it to swap the tailstock parts? Were they direct fit, or did you need any other parts too?

the idea of moving the start button on a tether is a smart one.
Even better is having it as a second start/stop. Guy who owned my 3520a set that up and it’s great. I often turn from the right side of the lathe (left handed) so the button on a tether keeps me from having to reach across the piece. Much safer.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John, the idea of moving the start button on a tether is a smart one. Filing that away for sometime in the future.

How big a deal was it to swap the tailstock parts? Were they direct fit, or did you need any other parts too?

The quill and drive thread fit perfectly. On my A series I had to knock the quill.locator pin out and then had to drill and tap a hole for a screw and mill.out a slot to fit the locator tab. It was pretty easy. I have a pdf on how I did it. It's on my home computer. I'll try to post it on here if I don't forget.

Back