• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520b inverter

I have a Powermatic 3520b and the inverter has failed - the machine stalls with even mild load. PM says that the original inverter is obsolete and that they don't have a replacement. Anyone have an idea where I can get a replacement?

Thanks
Andy

Scroll down a little Andy, this is a very popular subject right now. If the motor is running, you must have a different problem. When a VFD fails, the motor will not run at all. Check for set screws and keys missing on the motor and headstock shaft. You probably are spinning a pulley on a shaft. For the future, here is the go to site; https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html#Powermatic

Scroll down a little Andy, this is a very popular subject right now. If the motor is running, you must have a different problem. When a VFD fails, the motor will not run at all. Check for set screws and keys missing on the motor and headstock shaft. You probably are spinning a pulley on a shaft. For the future, here is the go to site; https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html#Powermatic

My inverter got so it would barely drive the motor with anything but the lightest cuts. It would bog down (not maintain speed) or just stall completely. I'd have to cycle the switch a time or 2, which would work a few times, but then you'd have to unplug and reset the inverter.

I replaced mine with a cheap one from Amazon years ago, and it's been running well since.

VFDs.com. There are instructions on the forum for installing a LaPond brand vfd, available at Amazon.

But before you descend into this particular rabbit hole, are you sure your belt is snug and not slipping? Or that there is not some other problem causing stalling?

If you do wind up replacing the inverter, consider putting it in a dust-free enclosure and hooking it up to a moveable magnetic-backed control box.

I just ordered a new inverter from a Delta supplier, but should have gone with Galco, for their tech support. Powermatic will email you the parameters without hesitation. Hopefully, they will be easy enough to input in my new Delta VFD7A5MS21ANSAA inverter for this 3520B .

As long as you have the parameters just about any brand VFD will work. I have found Allen-Bradley to be the most user friendly. I used to buy AB for all of my conveyor projects.

Back