• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

8-1/4" x 5" Spanish Cedar & Ebony Egyptian Lidded Bowl

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
8-1/4" x 5" Spanish Cedar & Ebony Egyptian Lidded Bowl. This was an experimental and fun piece using pyrography to create Egyptian hieroglyphic writing. The hieroglyphics actually spell out a message. I wanted to experiment with a finial that fitted what I was attempting to make. The finial itself was quite a bit of trial and error to figure out, but I am satisfied with the general shape and look. Since this was a first piece in what I hope to be a series I have already seen many ways that I can improve the next one in the future. Any future Art pieces will have to wait because it is time to get back to making bowls now that some are dry enough to finish turn. Art inspires me, but bowls seem to sell much better. The inside has maroon flocking.

Attachments

• egyptian piece #3.jpg
    egyptian piece #3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 55
  • egyptian piece #1.jpg
    egyptian piece #1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 36
Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Looks good and nice finish. The edge treatment on the top , is that chatter? Also on the finial what does it represent?

Gerald the treatment on the top is all pyrography no chatter work. The finial was an attempt to create a handle that appears to be papyrus reed coming out of a hard wood tube.

Back