• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A burning question

Hi,

One thing I like to do on salad bowls is turn a raised band 3/4 to 1 inch wide near the rim. Then, using a V-tool carve diagonal grooves into this band. Then torch the band. As you know, the torch will pretty much leave the grooves alone but blacken the rest of the band. Makes for a nice contrast. Now, it is important to not blacken the parts of the bowl with the torch and it is hard to be that precise. Any ideas on what I could use to mask of the rest of the bowl and just leave the band exposed? It would make it a lot easier. I tried masking tape but that doesn't really hold up to the torch.

Herb

PS Have a very Merry Christmas Season for yourself

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I highly recommend what Dennis said but if you already have it you can block off the heat with a piece of metal. Use it as a heat shield kind of like if you hold a piece of metal up against a frame while you paint the window to keep paint from getting on the wall or glass. If you actually want the flame to blead over it a little just hold the metal away from the wood. For crisp lines hold it against it while moving the torch.

The areas adjacent can be carefully moistened with a wet rag to help, but leaving the area proud and turning down low later works best.

Aluminum foil tape, the kind HVAC installers used to wrap and seal joints in metal and foil faced fiber board duct work. Haven't tried it but see no reason it shouldn't work.

Rough the band proud, then burn, then finish turn.

Then use your V-groove. Or if you like, burn, use the v-groove, then finish turn.

That's the sequence I would use.

Back