• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A friend in need.

My turning buddy Shawn texted me with a lathe issue last night. He depends on his lathe for part of his livelihood. It's a 16" Laguna. Spindle turns by hand but when he powers it on, it makes a clicking noise and doesn't run. Any thoughts on that topic? Maybe we can help Shawn out.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
See if the set screw on the motor pully or headstock belt pully is loose. Maybe turing by hand doesn't put enough tension to make the pully spin on teh shaft but under power the motor shaft spins but the belt/pullys don't.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
See if the set screw on the motor pully or headstock belt pully is loose. Maybe turing by hand doesn't put enough tension to make the pully spin on teh shaft but under power the motor shaft spins but the belt/pullys don't.
This is what i would check first. If he is spinning the spindle from the front or back will not tell you if there's an issue with the connection from the motor and spindle. Another thing to check if that's ok is take the belt off the motor pully and turn it on to check if the motor spins with no load.

The 3520 had a number of 'clicking' issues. Some times it was the spindle lock not totally disengaging. Some times the set screws on the pulleys would come loose and make noises. Seems like there were others, but that was a long time ago....

robo hippy

From a friend who just sold his laguna 1524 after similar issue.

“Open the latch door, turn the lathe on. Is the motor spindle turning (bottom spindle)?Check the belt and the pulleys. After that you can remove the plastic cover on the backside of the lathe. Is there a burning smell(possible burnt components); check to see if there are any fuses; if so get a good look at them. Those are just a couple troubleshooting steps. Is the lathe still under warranty? Submit an issue report if it is still in warranty”

Thanks to all for the responses and good advice. I've passed your wisdom along to Shaun. He has a case open with Laguna. I'll try to remember to update this thread with any results that I learn.

Back