• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A good sign?

During the half time of the Ol' Miss and Monmouth game, my wife had picked up my copy of American Woodturners magazine. She was browsing through it and was interested in the segmented items shown in an article about segmented turning (American Woodturner, February, 2017; page 44). She was amazed at the segmented pen made by Jim Nickless (page 31). 224 pieces!
I need to get her in the shop when the weather warms a bit and let her turn a couple of pen blanks. One has to start somewhere!

John, thanks. We had a family join our chapter- mom, dad, daughter. And they all are going to turn!
Bob, good advice. She was inquiring about pepper mills yesterday.

One potential problem occurs to me, John. Pens and pepper mills can be fussy and aggravating, totally unrelated to the turning experience. Click pens come to mind, as do shaft-less grinding mechanisms. The mentor should maybe select the hardware carefully at first to make sure the experience is positive.

Thanks for the "warning" on the mills. I have ten pens to turn between now and Christmas. I might get her to turn a couple.

I'd start her on something like a spurtle or rolling pin for the kitchen before turning a thin wall pen. Best to teach some chisel skills first! A lot of people assume you just stick the chisel into the wood and you get a perfect cut. They are shocked at the subtlety of hand skills needed.

Many wood turners forget how long it takes for the average person to pick up on proper tool technique.
A basic item like a rolling pin gives the novice some time to develop some tool skills.
Spinning tops are another easy item to teach a novice when starting out.

I'm afraid the rolling pin would be applied to my cranial area. :confused: Thanks for the suggestions.

Back