• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A lesson in humility....

I will apologetically admit that until Sunday...I had not only never turned a pen...but I kind of made fun of them. I thought of them as dinky little tings that some guys geeked out about - and they were a waste of my time and equipment.

So, our club - Carolina Mountain Woodturners - had a demonstrator named Barry Gross for this past Saturday session. WOW....First - he was extremely well prepared and organized and equipped. Second - he was entertaining and very down to earth. And, third - he brought everything one would need to really get into turning pens.

So, I signed up for the class. I was surprised there were still slots available. I had such a good time making pens - I signed up for the next day's class as well, getting the last slot.

Not knowing who he was formerly - I decided to Google him and WOW again....he has quite the list of clientele and accomplishments.

The lesson for me is to remain more open to learning something new that may not seem like I would enjoy it. With the right teacher - and a good student attitude....anything may be possible! I can't find better words to express how much fun Barry's class was. I hope we have him back soon.

T

Absolutely....but a pretty critical part if you want to achieve the kind of work Barry does. The critical visual effect of an extremely low angle constant curve is magnified 100 times in importance on something like a pen. In. larger object - it is easier to correct or hide. There is very little room for error - if you want to do work on that level. Additionally - his portfolio of the materials he works with starts with stabilized wood....and goes way out there.....Take a peek... www.bgartforms.com

Tim, you probably have noted that the actual turning is a minor part of all operations required to change a lump of wood into a pen.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
The gathering is generally in the Chicago area. Seeing as you are in NC, there is also one a bit closer. MAPG - The Mid-Atlantic Pen Turners Gathering. I cannot seem to get to the website, their Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/midatlanticpen/. This one is usually in Virginia.

As for learning the art of pen turning, you certainly picked a good instructor. Barry is very well respected in the community.

Back