• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Baldor Grinder “fix”

A few months ago I spotted a 1hp Baldor grinder on marketplace for a heck of a deal. Needless to say, I acquired it. The only issue with it was that the 1hp is sized for 10” wheels. I didn’t want to put 10” CBN wheels because with the grinder speed of 1800 RPM, the surface speed of a 10” wheel is nearly that of a 6” wheel on a 3600RPM grinder. So, I got 8” wheels from D-way. The next “problem” was that the cast iron guards are sized for the 10” wheel and because they also act as the bearing retainer, I couldn’t remove them. They were too big to mount a Wolverine jig in a usable way. I contemplated a few fixes. One was to modify my jigs like the old “vertical solution” jugs to clear the large guard. Another was to modify the guard ( I noticed in a video taken at Arrowmont that they had cut off the bottom of the guards to allow the bases to be mounted in the proper location). Another option I was leaning toward was making end caps that could be bolted on in place of the guard and hold in the bearings. Being somewhat lazy and busy with other things, this idea rolled around in my head for a while. Then, a lightbulb went off. Baldor makes a buffer that I thought probably used the frame, but had end caps instead of guards! A little research and I found a part number, RB3010, “bearing retainer”. I ordered a pair, still unsure if they were the correct item (there isn’t a picture of them anywhere). Well, they arrived today and work perfectly! The same part number is called out for both the 3/4hp grinder/buffer and the 1hp grinder/buffer. I know there may be other issues with removed guards (never do it with stone wheels) and grinding dust, but if you have determined that you want them removed, I hope this info helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2772.jpeg
    IMG_2772.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2572.png
    IMG_2572.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Hmm, I never knew about that bearing retainer.... I do still like to keep the wheel shroud around the grinder for dust containment. The metal dust does 'float' around the shop like wood dust does... Still trying to come up with some safe shop sized dust collector for my grinders. I have 4...... I have seen several different 'solutions' for getting the Wolverine set up in under the wheel housing on the Baldor grinders. One was to tip the grinder forward so that vent would tip up and then you would have clearance. This looks more simple. You could fabricate a metal hood for dust containment.

robo hippy

Back