• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Budget chainsaw size for a hobbyist?

So the only chainsaw I have is a terrible Lowes electric one and I rarely use it. But to get back into wet turning, I need a decent chainsaw.

I'm a hobbyist so $200-300 on a chainsaw is pretty stiff of an expensive purchase but I don't want to buy junk. It takes all I got to keep my 1980 Evinrude running so the last thing I need is a cheap chainsaw that needs constant carb fiddling. I like the idea of electric but I'm going to get gas so that it's portable, I live in Charleston SC so a chainsaw comes in handy during storm season anyhow.

The biggest thing I'm able to turn is about 10-12" diameter. I'm guessing a 16" saw would be plenty here. I can get a homeoner grade Stihl 16" for under $250. Opinions? The Stihl repair shop is next door to my job so that's nice, I use a Stihl weed eater from there.

If you had an approx budget of $250, and a 12" lathe, what would you get?

I know keeping a sharp blade is the real key by the way.

I have a Stihl ms180 that has worked well for me when I started. It cut through anything I wanted to and probably shouldn't have. I did upgrade to a ms271 the other day for the 20 inch bar to cut bigger blanks. Does your shop close to you have any used ones? Check the pawn shops too.

My first chainsaw was the Stihl 170 with a 16 inch blade. I was very happy with that saw for years - no problems whatsoever. I was turning on a 12 inch Iathe. I did end up replacing the saw at some point with another one (it finally died and wasn't worth repairing), but I also got a 20" Echo for bigger work, which is great, too. As far as I can tell, whether it's Stihl, Echo, and Husky, you will be getting a good product, even at the low end. Just don't expect it to do more than it's designed for, or to last forever. A lighter saw is much easier on your body, even if it takes a little longer. The 20" Echo is the lightest for the 50cc displacement and power. It's a sweet spot, in my opinion. Even a 24" saw wears me and my back out a lot faster these days. Keep the chain sharp!

I also have an Echo (CS-590) and a Stihl (039). Both are great saws. The Echo in particular takes a beating and fires every time. It may be a little out of your budget at the moment, but I would try to save for at least a “farm duty” saw from either of the major manufacturers (Stihl, Echo, or Husqvarna) over a lighter duty “homeowner” model.

Last edited:
Matt, I’ve used a Makita corded 16” saw for years. For logs the size you are describing it would be fine ripping or cross-cutting. It is about 2/3 the speed of an equivalent size gas, but the convenience of not dealing with gas and infrequent use issues negates the speed issue for me. I have but do not recommend the Makita 36 volt saw. Works great but insufficient power and runtime. Perhaps the higher voltage units are significantly better.

Last edited:
Matt, having relatives in the Mt. Pleasant and Georgetown SC area and having spent 2 weeks cleaning up from Hugo down there, I’d strongly suggest to NOT buy an electric because of where you’re at and what might come. Storms don’t always leave the lights on! I’d talk to the guys next door.

I'm in the same boat. I recently found a new Husqvarna Farm Boss at a good price and it works like a charm. I also have a small Makita electric and it doesn't work so well.

Matt, I have used an EGO 18" 56v battery operated saw for the past few years. It makes a great hobby saw. With two batteries I cut a 20" cherry tree down and processed it. EGO also has a 16" and 14" version. These are not lumberjack quality saws but great for using to shape wood blanks.

I have had a Husky 455 rancher for close to 20 years - finally had to replace the gas line last year. It has been very reliable. I also have the Makita 16" corded. It gets used sparingly when I only have one or two cuts to make. You are getting good advise here, If you can't afford a sturdier saw, ask the shop next door about refurbished ones they may have.

Hey Matt...Like @Darryn Achall I use an Ego electric chainsaw. I went with an 18" bar and 5 Ah for $367 on sale from Lowes. You can buy a smaller configuration and stay close to your budget. The nice thing about the electric chainsaw is I can use it inside without choking half to death. It is an excellent chainsaw and well worth the price I paid for it.

Last edited:
is corded ok? I've had a Stihl gas saw for years, but when I began woodturning I wanted something I could used inside my heated/AC shop. The corded Oregon CS1500 is awesome. 18" bar, has as much power as my Stihl and has a self sharpening chain system that really works. I've been using it for 8 years now and love it.

I got a used Bluemax 20" / 14" for $70 and have been pretty happy with it, so I am on the other end of the chainsaw spectrum. I saw Walmart had their 18", which is the same 45cc engine reconditioned for $79. Not near the Stihl quality, but leaves more money for when the 12" lathe wants to be a 16" like all have said, sharp chain, no alcohol in gas ( we have Sheetz in Ohio now, all have a no alcohol gas)

Look at the Neo Tec , stihl clone, on Amazon I jut bought the 28” version And it’s a beast. But they also have a 16” for about $140.

Back