• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buffing Question

Website
www.overholtzwoodturnings.com
Hi folks. I've just started using a three part bufffing system ( tripoli, white diamond & carnauba). It's been working great but I was wondering what peolple generally use for a finish before buffing (type & number of coats). I turn everything from hardwoods to soft pines.
Ron Overholtz

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I like several othersw, use a clear gloss lacquer cut 50/50 with lacquer thinner. Right after the final on lathe sanding, I coat it good with the liquid and wipe it off. After about an hour, I coat it again and let it dry overnight. Then I lightly sand to take out any runs or wipe marks.

Usually I white diamond buff lightly as it will go through the finish quite easily. Then I carnuba buff.

I usually use several coats of polymerized oil. This can be tung oil, eurythane oil, danish oil, whateva. Put a good soaking coat on, give it 10 minutes and wipe dry. Let sit until well dry (24-48hrs) then recoat. Can keep doing it until it won't absorb any more if you want to. I've known folks to put 10-20 coats on waiting up to a week or two between coats. I usually stop at 2-3. Acts as a nice filler for the grain. Makes features jump out well. When buffed, the wood is "plasticized" in appearance, although grain will still pop out if you only use a few coats.

Warning, will darken the wood significantly depending on what you use.

Them's my $.02 worth.
Dietrich

Website
www.woodturner.org
I have been using the same technique which Dietrich explained. And it has been only with pure Tung oil. There is usually 3 days between coats and 4-5 coats total. I do a light sanding with 600 or 800 grit between coats. The final coat is thinned to reduce line which occur during drying. This is a good finish to apply on light wood if you want to pop the grain and darken the wood. Works great on ash as an example. You drying time may vary. Here in Austin, TX the finish gets pretty well cured in 3 days in the garage :cool2:

Back