• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buffing wipe on poly

No. After cured maybe, but definitely not just dry to the touch. Your technique on the buffing machine will make a difference as well. You can build a lot of heat if you move the object around too slowly, and that will definitely soften the poly.

I’ve not done it but from what I’ve read you need to make sure it’s fully dry before buffing. This could take from a couple of days to over a week.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've buffedcwipe on poly for years. Sometimes one coat within a few minutes after turning. If I do 2 or more coats I give it an hour ir so to dry. Never had a problem with it. I do however use 4" wheels on my lathe running about 1500 rpm. I burned through a lot if finishes with the 8" wheels at high speed. Wasn't using wipe on poly back then. It us a tougher fi ish.

I've buffedcwipe on poly for years. Sometimes one coat within a few minutes after turning. If I do 2 or more coats I give it an hour ir so to dry. Never had a problem with it. I do however use 4" wheels on my lathe running about 1500 rpm. I burned through a lot if finishes with the 8" wheels at high speed. Wasn't using wipe on poly back then. It us a tougher fi ish.
You buff like 3-4 minutes after applying? What brand allows you to do that? I can't even hold a piece with 3-4 minute old poly without leaving finger prints.

Once it’s cured, you should be able to buff without a problem as long as you’re mindful of the heat. For poly and shellac, I use 4” wheels and keep the speed between 1,000 - 1,200 rpm. Don’t linger on one spot too long and you should be fine.

John, you are the expert, but your results puzzle me. What does your buffing wheel feel like? A bit stiff? I wonder what your result would be if you wiped your piece with mineral spirits and buffed the same way? Or apply nothing to the piece and buff?

Our finish contains Poly and we dip it in that mix for about 45 minutes. After we take it out and dry it with a paper towel we let it sit for 4 or 5 days to cure. After that we Beall buff it using 8" buffing wheels. Never had a problem.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John, you are the expert, but your results puzzle me. What does your buffing wheel feel like? A bit stiff? I wonder what your result would be if you wiped your piece with mineral spirits and buffed the same way? Or apply nothing to the piece and buff?
I use the 4" bealle wheels running at 1500 rpm or so. I've been doing this for at least 15 years. My hand mirrors are handled a lot abd hold up fine. Most have 2 layers.

John, rereading what l said isn't what l wanted to say. Last year one of our club members did something similar. He buffed a piece that had a finish that l don't recall and a piece (same wood) with bare wood. They looked the same. I wondered if your wheel was more stiff that could affect your results. I know that water would raise the grain, but would MS haver any affect on the results. Then, how would all this compare with buffing the bare wood? Your mirrors, stunning as they are, are probably handled quite a bit. I would think that your method yields a very thin film coating. It works. Is that all we need?

I use water-based floor poly diluted 50/50 with water. I apply it and immediately wipe it off. You need about 4/5 coats. After the last coat, dry for 24 hours then Beale. Great finish. I am still using the remains from my floor for the last 15 years. It has not broken down.

Buffing bare wood is equivalent to sanding to about 1500 grit. Sanding to that level will produce a glossy sheen. But of course it will not be a durable sheen. I would also expect buffing bare wood is comparable to using a sanding paste like Yorkshire Grit. I think I might try an experiment to try buffing bare would followed by 1 or 2 coats of oil base poly, to compare to sanding to 400 grit, adding the coats of poly, and then buffing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When I do my hand mirrors I apply a coat of finish on the lathe. Then I sort of force dry it with friction from my hand. Then I apply a second coat. Usually the next morning I will buff it. If I want a thicker glossy finish I will apply several more coats at 1coat per day. Let that dry over night and then buff.

Back