• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Burl possibilities

So I came across an enormous burl on a tree on my property and decided to cut it down so I could start the drying process. Can I get any ideas please. The size is about 18” tall and 16” diameter

Attachments

• IMG_4038.jpeg
    IMG_4038.jpeg
    866.5 KB · Views: 69
Are you planning to kiln dry? If not, you’ll need to start milling and sealing right away. Since there’s not really an end grain side for most burls, there’s a still a pretty good chance it’ll split if you air dry it. The only times I’ve seen a burl escape air dry un-checked is when it’s been left to season for years before being milled or if there are large voids to help mitigate tension disparities during shrinkage. Good luck!

I've never seen a burl dry crack free. I turn 90% of mine in the green stage.
This is your best bet. If you are hoping to turn symmetrical vessels, you’d be wise to rough turn pretty immediately to speed up the drying process and then do your final turn several months later, once dry enough to be stable.

Are you planning to kiln dry? If not, you’ll need to start milling and sealing right away. Since there’s not really an end grain side for most burls, there’s a still a pretty good chance it’ll split if you air dry it. The only times I’ve seen a burl escape air dry un-checked is when it’s been left to season for years before being milled or if there are large voids to help mitigate tension disparities during shrinkage. Good luck!
I currently have it in a vacuum chamber to pull the moisture out. It’s going to be a long process

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Carl, your timing may be just right for this one:

Thanks Darryl, I tried to reach him privately but could not find him. I could not "advertise" my event here so thanks for listing my demo. That will cover just what he is asking, for 2 1/2 hours, live and interactive. And I have a different take on it than most of the people replying here.

Back