• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cabinet.

I built a new cabinet for the shop. I have small things all over the shop and need a place to put it where it will be easy to find. The cabinet is 47” wide16” deep and 7’ tall. I built it out of 3/4” plywood. The center shelf is fixed and the rest are adjustable. The shelves are 10.5” deep. I did that so I wouldn’t have to dig through a lot to find something. Once the shelves are full I will add shelves on the inside of the doors for lighter things. Now I just need to figure out if I want to paint it white or stain it and finish over the stain. Let me know what you all think.
IMG_0670.jpegIMG_0672.jpegIMG_0673.jpeg

Dye it a color that will make people go "WOW" in 40 or 50 years and wonder who made it. (This is when they buy it somewhere to put in their shop.)

I just experienced the problem you mentioned this evening as I had to take a bunch of junk off a shelf looking for zip ties. I thought I need to organize better and this mess I have is frustrating every time I need something.

That's a great idea about putting shelves on the doors.

I would use light stain then poly on the outside and paint the insides of the doors and walls white for the light reflection mentioned. Also, white gloss or semi-gloss on the shelves so if something leaks it will be easier to clean off than flat.
Great looking cabinet.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Let me know what you all think.

I love seeing homemade things in the shop. They are a testament to the concept of individuality.

I wasn't quite as ingenious when I put my shop together 28 years ago. I can remember the only thing on my mind at the time, was getting it up and running....and I didn't care what it looked like. I ended up buying three old dresser drawers at garage sales for the extra space I needed in setting up the shop. I did move some homemade benches with sliding drawers from my previous shop when I first purchased this home, but ran out of storage space pronto!......so, went garage sale hunting! :)

-O-

Last edited:
Lol. Sorry that is my old table saw. I forgot that was even there.
That is a vintage Craftsman 8" table saw. Cast iron housing and made in the 30's. My father in law gave me his from his farm. He'd bought it new in the late 30's and it had been in his tool room on the farm all those years. I took possession of it in 1974, used it for 10 years and then stored it away. My son has it now and it still runs quite well, just small. In about 1975 I bought some spare parts for it from Sears.

That is a vintage Craftsman 8" table saw. Cast iron housing and made in the 30's. My father in law gave me his from his farm. He'd bought it new in the late 30's and it had been in his tool room on the farm all those years. I took possession of it in 1974, used it for 10 years and then stored it away. My son has it now and it still runs quite well, just small. In about 1975 I bought some spare parts for it from Sears.
Just to be clear Alan, Rusty isn’t your son, is he? ;-)

Yes. This one belonged to my father in law. Sadly I never knew him, he passed two months before I met my wife. I have used it for 32 years. I had to put a new motor on it around 5 years ago. I finally moved into a shop big enough for a cabinet saw. It has a lot of sentimental value so it is tucked away under the end of my miter bench until we figure who we will pass it down to. Here is a better picture of it.IMG_0061.jpegIMG_0379.jpeg32.jpeg

Back