• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chucks are like clamps

I have several.
1-Nova Midi( I did just give this one to my brother with a Jet mini lathe)
1- Nova G3
4- SuperNova 2's
1 Nova Titon
2- Oneway Talon's
3- old Delta 3 jaw chucks from my Delta 1460 (Restoration show piece in progress)
3- complete vacuum systems with several chucks.
Screw chucks, bottlestopper chucks/mandrels ect. ect. .

Lots of various jaw sets, I dislike changing jaws .

1 Grizzly H6265 (VM clone) with 3 sets of jaws and a screw.
2 Nova mini's.
1 Jacobs MT2.
3 Longworth's (shop-built).
God knows how many odd-ball specials (shop-built).

Joe

It had not occured to me that turners have so many chucks which are, after all, fairly expensive accessories. I use a Oneway lathe and would be very frustrated if I couldn't lock the chucks on the lathe with the two setscrews that Oneway chucks have which I assume don't work on other lathes. When turning on the outboard end, sometimes I'm turning 'forward' and sometimes I'm turning 'reverse'. Also, when turning a bowl base inboard, I often reverse the lathe and use pulled scraping cuts with a gouge. Years ago, faceplates for the lathe I had had to be reverse threaded to work on the outboard end. Lathes have come a long way (thank you Oneway).

Malcolm Smith.

Few things I've learned about making the buck go further ...

There are adaptor plates to allow you to use VM90/100 series jaws on the Teknatool SN2 and related. You have to drill out the jaw holes by 1mm. (IMO the quality and design of the T/tool jaws have been going down the tube.)

Also, and this I've not tried, seems some folk source the sliding jaw mounts and fix one to each jaw; remove the slide stop and change jaws just by feeding each one into the scroll.

Great thread! I too dislike changing jaws, so I now have 2 nova chucks with 8 tpi inserts for the Jet mini, and 1 Nova and 1 Nova Titan with the 1-1/4" 8 thread for the Mustard Monster. I also have the 1-1/4 to 1"converter, so I can use all the chucks on the MM
Of course this includes the screw chuck inserts.
Add to this 2 jacobs chucks, 1 pin chuck, and a home-built vacuum system with 2 chucks.
I don't like faceplates much, and usually start a bowl with the screw chuck insert, or a smooth drive center, until I get the spigot turned.

Bob

I didn't even think to mention screw chucks (Glaser) or vacuum chucks since they really aren't chucks. When one adds a vacuum system, a whole new avenue is opened up to the turner. I use the Oneway system as I have a Oneway lathe and their products are very well figured out and manufactured.

Malcolm Smith.

Well Here Goes!
I absolutely hate everything about turning except turning. That includes , cleanup, sharpening and especially changing jaws so.... My trusty credit cards, and fearless attitude toward serious debt has led me to have the following, divided into two shops (one in SC, one in VA). 9 strongholds; 6 vicmarc 120's; 4 SN2's, 1 g3, 1 small axminster, 2 Grizzly (SN and Vicmarc copies); 4 OneWAY VAC chucks, 2 holdfast vac chucks.and several homemade donut chucks. Is this too much? Hell, I would have several more so that I never, ever, ever have to change a set of jaws.
Is this crazy? Absolutely, and my children -well only the oldest and stingiest, thinks I should be committed.

Well done Old Bolivian
I have 2 Vicmarc 100's, 2 Vicmarc 120's, 2 Nova Midi's, coulpe of collet chucks, and a host of made up for certain item chucks.
I have been wanting another Vic-100. But I think the wife may have a fit.
I better show her these 5 pages of posting to show her that I am lacking.

Jerry

how many chucks

1 X Supernova2 , 1 X Vicmarc 100, 1 X Vicmarc 150 what a weapon this is.
Ask me again after the Adelaide wood show in Oct.
Cheers,
Bob.

Back