• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Circle template storage

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
We all make the circle templates to use to rough cut the bowl blanks. I always kept mine in a box stacked up and sitting on the work table. Seemed like they were always in the way or I would be knocking them over.
Well today I figured out a new way to store these. Hang them overhead. I used some heavy wire to make the rack. Then just took the circle templates and cut the little J in them to hang on the wire. It is simple now to unhook the size you need without sorting through a whole pile or box.

Attachments

• TemplateRack4.JPG
    TemplateRack4.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 139
  • TemplateRack2.JPG
    TemplateRack2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 137
  • TemplateRack1.JPG
    TemplateRack1.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 155

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks Rick.......

Looks like a workable solution to me. You've got a lot of those templates, and knowing how things work in the real world......that must have been a little frustrating to keep all of those pieces organized. The little "J" slot makes it quick and easy access.......just the kind of solution I like to see! I'm making a mental note of your solution.......:cool2:

Keeping organized is a continuing effort for most of us.......and, looking around your shop a little (3rd picture) shows that you've had to do quite a bit of organizing, yourself. It doesn't have to look pretty.....but, it NEEDS to be functional......and, that seems to be exactly what you had in mind.

Looking below and slightly to the left of your hanging template rack shows something else you spent some effort to organize. Are those your lathe tools?

Anyway, thanks for showing us......

ooc

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Thanks Rick.......

Keeping organized is a continuing effort for most of us.......and, looking around your shop a little (3rd picture) shows that you've had to do quite a bit of organizing, yourself. It doesn't have to look pretty.....but, it NEEDS to be functional......and, that seems to be exactly what you had in mind.

Looking below and slightly to the left of your hanging template rack shows something else you spent some effort to organize. Are those your lathe tools?

ooc

I have a lot of other storage solutions I have come up with I guess. The rack to the lower right is my scrollsaw blades. I do have a rack for my lathe tools though. Go to my web site at http://www.scrollsaws.com then scroll down the left index to the lathe part. I have a lot more tips there that I use.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have a lot of other storage solutions I have come up with I guess. The rack to the lower right is my scrollsaw blades. I do have a rack for my lathe tools though. Go to my web site at http://www.scrollsaws.com then scroll down the left index to the lathe part. I have a lot more tips there that I use.

Good stuff, Rick.....

I recognized a couple of your jigs and solutions from seeing them on this forum in the past.

Keep it up......!

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had to hang the larger ones on the wall. People who visited my shop (and were taller than me) kept hitting their heads. I have circles up to 12" hanging above the lathe. From 12 to 20 are now on the wall.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
My Rack

Rick, your idea inspired me to make something to get my templates off the floor. I had some dowels so made an open rack so the shavings would fall through. It hangs on the wall with a french cleat which allows me to take advantage of some open wall space near the bandsaw.

Attachments

• 101_0102 (Medium).JPG
    101_0102 (Medium).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 101_0101 (Medium).JPG
    101_0101 (Medium).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 36
Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Circle Rack

I like that idea too. I had a solid box kind of like that. My problem came when I added more circles in the larger sizes. The box was too narrow and was not deep enough. So that gave me the idea to try something else.
The 5 on the left I added to the set. Had some bigger logs that I started with so needed the bigger circles. By the way those last 5 are cut from cardboard, the rest are cut from plywood. They work just a good, as they get nicked too much they will be replaced anyway.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Large spring clamp

works for me, with a large hole drilled in the handle to hang on a screw on the wall. I like this approach because circles in the middle are easily accessible, and it takes up very little space. And it is very portable so I can carry it out to my chain saw area to chalk out my cuts, or to my band saw with an awl in the center, or bench to drill or locate a center hole.

Back