• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Club educational programs

Yesterday, South Central Pennsylvania Wood Turners (6 of us) went to a boy scout jamboree and taught scouts to turn their own pens. Due to lack of volunteers and lathes, we were only able to have a few over 60 youth turn their own pens. We could easily have doubled that with more help and equipment. I had never turned a pen in my life, so I got the short course in pen making by watching a few others and then helping the scouts assemble their own pens. at the press. By the end of the day, I was also teaching/supervising scouts turning their pens.

I had a lot of fun, learned how easy pen making is, and got the warm and fuzzies from helping so many kids. I felt a little bad because we only had so many time slots in the day and had to turn a hundred other youngins away.

I also have to say, that we old codgers often rant about the youth of today. All of them were a pleasure to deal with.

Back