• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Collectibles" vs "Stand-Alones" vs COLLECTIBLES

Hollowing large pieces is kinda like mowing the yard: If all you think about is each blade of grass, you're in trouble. With the recent posts on "going pro" and "selling your work", I've been pondering value (price for the more pragmatic amongst us) and have solidified a few thoughts:
  • We all begin making collectibles - our friends, family, neighbors assign value because it's a piece of the maker whom they know and love. Who on this forum has not created a genuine delight with each gift. And who has not sold a piece at a craft fair and not seen that same delight?
  • Pieces in galleries or on sites like Etsy are, by definition, Stand-Alone - while with marketing and promotion the maker may be an element in the value, success depends on the piece itself: the originality, the design, the finish, the wood selection - all those attributes that appeal to the non-craft and non-woodturning population. Also, we wooodturners find ourselves competing with other disciplines - can't tell you how many times my work lost out to an art-glass piece that "better fit the space"
  • Very few of us are elevated to turning COLLECTIBLES (caps and bold intentional) - well known authors and demonstrators get premium prices - names like Moulthrop get the big bucks. What might the auction price be for Andy Warhol's "Deeply Superficial Little Bowl"?
Henry David Thoreau once said, “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it". I will add, depends on "who you is" - at the end of the day, my work sells for pocket change

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Good points. I've seen and participated in some of the threads here about pricing your work, going pro, selling vs giving away, making a profit, etc. I think a lot of it comes down to making sure one knows the "why" you turn and make what you do. Early on I settled on my "why" and it's made all the difference. I enjoy the process, collecting logs, learning about different wood types and how they turn, deciding what might be inside, learning new steps and skills, selling items at local markets to people that live in my area, giving away items to friends and neighbors, and a lot more. For now, standing at my lathe in the morning with my coffee and a big gnarly log mounted up ready to spin and see what I can make out of it is my primary motivation. My last turn today was a small piece of apple that I almost pitched in the fire bin. Decided to give it a try and in a short time had a very nice hollow form with great color that someone will want in their home. It's still a hoot and hope it stays that way.

Randy,
I had to reverse think the concept of flaws. A log has no flaws - any inability to take advantage of the surprises is my problem. Every time I turn a show stopper into a main attraction we all win. I'm not one to get goofy about the spirit of the log, but prove to me there is not something smiling back.
And you're dead-nuts on - it's a hoot to uncover and create. Keep hanging the gnarliest and least-likely-to-succeed

Back