• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Contest

Our club has a contest every year called chapter challenge. The person that wins gets to pick for next year. My good friend won last year and picked a lamp for this year. I am trying to really step my game up from last year still being a fairly new turner, three years. The lamp can be any size and emit light, electric, battery, oil etc. this will be my entry. It is not finished yet but getting close. I have until the second Saturday in February.
IMG_0702.jpegIMG_0703.jpegIMG_0704.jpeg

That’s awesome Randy! The shade is quite striking. When I saw the first picture in bright light I wondered how you were planning on turning it. Which the room light off and the lamp on it’s wonderful!

Beautifully executed! Perhaps you could exhibit it ‘inside’ a large cardboard box which you first paint the interior matte black and only leave the front open? It is really striking in the dark.

The only problem with that is a lot of windows in the room. I will have it lit up and am thinking of putting a couple of pictures with it of it lit up in the dark.
Maybe a dark background or screen, perhaps black felt, without Elvis. (though in Parkersberg Elvis might add points) A trifold of cardboard is a common display form, light and easy to carry, easy to set up, and would block out the light from windows behind the piece.

Maybe a dark background or screen, perhaps black felt, without Elvis. (though in Parkersberg Elvis might add points) A trifold of cardboard is a common display form, light and easy to carry, easy to set up, and would block out the light from windows behind the piece.
Yes that’s a great idea. Somebody mentioned earlier cardboard. That made me think of the trifold thing and put something on top to block as much as possible. I also forgot to add that the base is around 10”” in diameter, shade around 14” in diameter and 24” tall.

Back