• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Creative Woodturner"

In glancing through Derek Hayes' book Woodturning Design I came across a passing reference to design software called "Creative Woodturner". I'd never previously heard of it and was curious about it.
A Google search revealed that it is available now through the Google app store.... but only for use on a smart phone. The demo video on the app store is very impressive (of course) and suggests that the software is very intuitive to use. Unfortunately my fat fingers and thumbs are just not very good at manipulating stuff on my phone.

I'm wondering if the software is worth pursuing. Does anyone have any experience of it?
John
PS I've messed around with Sketchup on various occassions, but really only found it helpful for designing flat work projects.

Thanks Paul:
I too saw the notice about it being available for Android users, but I am skeptical about my clumsy fingers and thumbs' ability to do graphics design on my phone. The app store also told me that its "not available for my device" ie the desk top machine I am using to look at the app store and at this forum wont work with Creative Woodturner AR.

John

Probably, but I'm with John, touch screens are a clumsy second (or third) best to a mouse. Can you run a tablet with a USB mouse?

@John Shillabeer , I agree with your comments about Sketchup. Great for flatwork, but not so much for turning. I started using Fusion 360, but it's a very steep learning curve.
Yes a wireless Bluetooth mouse. You have the same problem with a phone but even a smaller screen.

I tried the "contact us" feature on the "Creative Woodturner AR" website. It bounced back, "address contact could not be found or is unable to receive mail". I also tried to find the copyright holder/ developer via Google, but the listed name , MDR Software, did not show at all, though it did not help my search that MDR is apparently also a class of of medical software.

I think this is a dead end.

John

Back