• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deft lacquer discontinued ??

local lowes was out of sanding sealer, but the sticker on counter was still there,

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Has DEFT finishing products been discontinued by Lowes and Home Depot?

No.

Two of our club members indicate that the products may have been removed with no replacement. High level of VOC was one explanation?

Nah, it was a UFO -- they beamed up the entire stock from your local stores. Read the full story in the latest National Enquirer tabloid at your grocery store.

Nah, it was a UFO -- they beamed up the entire stock from your local stores. Read the full story in the latest National Enquirer tabloid at your grocery store.

No No No. The entire national inventory was bought up by the Koch Brothers to corner the market. They will hold it all in a secret location until demand reaches a predetermined level than sell it at 17 times the original cost.

If there is an actual back-story, it's likely that the company will have it.

Their customer service number is 1-800-458-3338.

We need to find a way to increase traffic on this forum. My post about the Koch brothers has been up for almost 18 hours but it hasn't been picked up by Fox News or Huffington Post. I'm sure the NSA has it, but they only look at the metadata. :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
We need to find a way to increase traffic on this forum. My post about the CENSORED has been up for almost 18 hours but it hasn't been picked up by Fox News or Huffington Post. I'm sure the CENSORED has it, but they only look at the metadata. :D

So you watch Fox "News"? :D

I have a really great idea for increasing traffic here: the AAW gives a free bowl gouge to everybody who posts a message on this forum -- limit six bowl gouges per household. It may need to be fine-tuned, but I think this would work.

What previous post? All that I see is "POST #4 DELETED FOR NATIONAL SECURITY REASONS". :)

Last edited:
Nah, but I stop into several sites where the trolls maintain that Fox is the ONLY news. :D

You've all seen the bumper stickers that say "I don't trust the liberal media" and "I don't trust the conservative media". I wanted to put both on my car (guess which sides), but my wife wouldn't let me.

Deft news

I spoke with a Deft rep and found that the company has been bought
by Pittsburgh Paint. It was a family owned company. Deft is still doing business with Ace but apparently no longer with Lowes. The deft plant is scheduled to close.

I spoke with a Deft rep and found that the company has been bought
by Pittsburgh Paint. It was a family owned company. Deft is still doing business with Ace but apparently no longer with Lowes. The deft plant is scheduled to close.

I used to get deft at Lowes, but the last few times shopping for it there, no luck. Guess this explains why.

The last couple gallons of lacquer I have bought have been Watco. It seems to work OK, just different. Also, the Watco is a bit more yellow.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Well harrumph and humbug! One more case of the big fish eating the little fish. Sort of like Black & Decker buying up numerous other tool companies and then along came a bigger fish, Stanley that bought B&D.

I presume that Pittsburgh Paint bought Deft because they like their products (or maybe just their bottom line) and, hopefully, won't monkey with the formula. It would be a pity of they decide to rebadge some of their own stuff that isn't selling well with the Deft label to boost sales. I have bought several cans from our local Ace Hardware in the past month and so far it seems to be the same as always.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You've all seen the bumper stickers that say "I don't trust the liberal media" and "I don't trust the conservative media". I wanted to put both on my car (guess which sides), but my wife wouldn't let me.

Shall I let her know that you are in need of some Special High Intensity Training to get your thinking back on the right track? :D

If it was your car that I saw, I think that both bumper stickers have now been re-synchronized.

I used to get deft at Lowes, but the last few times shopping for it there, no luck. Guess this explains why.

The last couple gallons of lacquer I have bought have been Watco. It seems to work OK, just different. Also, the Watco is a bit more yellow.

Dale,

If you want pale lacquer, try some M.L. Campbell. You won't find it at Lowe's however.;)

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
All of the remaining Deft products had been moved to the 'mistint' & discounted products area at my local Lowe's store. Last night I bought the last three quarts of sanding sealer and one gallon of gloss brushable lacquer - nothing else left. Of course the two employees working in the paint department had no idea of anything happening with the Deft company and their relationship with Lowe's. I did ask if there was any remaining Deft stock "up top", and of course there was none.

It is maddening that of all of the 8 or 10 different lacquers I've tried, the one I consider the best and have used almost exclusively for the past 5-6 years is the one involved in this situation. I hope that the Deft products continue in the same formulation and will still be produced and available regardless of who owns the company. It is very disconcerting that it was reported that the Deft plant is scheduled to close. My messages left on the Deft Customer Service voicemail system have not been returned yet.

Not happy about this.....if anyone hears further news, please let us all know... I will do the same....

Rob

i was in lowes today, checked shelf for sanding sealer again, not only were they still out of deft sanding sealer, they had relaid and labeled the counter. no deft sanding sealer in spray can. talked to employee and he said he relaid counter and at this point to not expect any......

the employee did suggest i buy the liquid shellac and mix it 50/50 with dna and if i wanted to spray , buy this sray system made by Preval. it atomizes up to 16 ounces. it has a spray bottle (can buy many bottles) and the spray system just screws on the top. i have not used it yet, but i did buy one for about $5 or $6. use one sprayer for countless applications, no compressor needed, and believe it or not it is made in usa.

Guys, switch to automotive clear coat & you'll never look back. I use Advantage catalyzed clear. 3 coats does what 10 of anything in a rattle can will do. I spray it out of a $15.00 dollar HVLP. You'll really appreciate the time savings.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I posted this to Woodcentral a few days ago....RE: Deft

I recently contacted the new owner of the Deft Product line, Pittsburgh Paints.

The person with whom I spoke (technical rep.) said that Lowe's decided to no longer carry the Deft product line, since the privately-held company (Deft Finishes) was sold to Pittsburgh Paints in early 2013 (there are several stock trading web sites that posted news about this sale back in April 2013). Perhaps this has to do with product lines of paint that Lowe's presently carries being competitors of Pittsburgh Paints, and, by agreement or contract, may not be able to carry product from competing vendors (?). Regardless, Lowe's no longer carries the Deft wood finishes line.

The person from Pittsburgh Paints said that there are no plans at present to do away with (or re-formulate) the Deft Wood finishes line (Deft also makes a diverse line of various industrial coatings, including paints and sealers for aircraft), and that, at least in theory, these wood finishing products should still be available through various vendors. Woodcraft and Klingspor seem to be continuing this product line; Ace Hardware is also supposed to be one of the national distributors. I have no idea if Home Depot ever carried the Deft Line, but apparently they do not right now.

Deft Spray lacquer is (was?) my spray finish of choice, and I am a bit miffed by Lowe's decision to discontinue supplying this product. It's supposed to still be around, but not nearly as convenient as purchasing it from our local Lowe's, which also sold it at a somewhat lower price than one can obtain via catalogs or on-line, driving up the cost to use these products, and also creating a greater hassle of maintaining an inventory of the finishes I use routinely.

I have been assured (at least in the message received from the sales rep. two weeks ago) that the Deft Wood Finishes line is intended to continue into the foreseeable future, even under the new ownership of Pittsburgh Paints. I really hope it does...

Rob Wallace

I recently contacted the new owner of the Deft Product line, Pittsburgh Paints.

The person with whom I spoke (technical rep.) said that Lowe's decided to no longer carry the Deft product line, since the privately-held company (Deft Finishes) was sold to Pittsburgh Paints in early 2013 (there are several stock trading web sites that posted news about this sale back in April 2013). Perhaps this has to do with product lines of paint that Lowe's presently carries being competitors of Pittsburgh Paints, and, by agreement or contract, may not be able to carry product from competing vendors (?). Regardless, Lowe's no longer carries the Deft wood finishes line.

The person from Pittsburgh Paints said that there are no plans at present to do away with (or re-formulate) the Deft Wood finishes line (Deft also makes a diverse line of various industrial coatings, including paints and sealers for aircraft), and that, at least in theory, these wood finishing products should still be available through various vendors. Woodcraft and Klingspor seem to be continuing this product line; Ace Hardware is also supposed to be one of the national distributors. I have no idea if Home Depot ever carried the Deft Line, but apparently they do not right now.

Deft Spray lacquer is (was?) my spray finish of choice, and I am a bit miffed by Lowe's decision to discontinue supplying this product. It's supposed to still be around, but not nearly as convenient as purchasing it from our local Lowe's, which also sold it at a somewhat lower price than one can obtain via catalogs or on-line, driving up the cost to use these products, and also creating a greater hassle of maintaining an inventory of the finishes I use routinely.

I have been assured (at least in the message received from the sales rep. two weeks ago) that the Deft Wood Finishes line is intended to continue into the foreseeable future, even under the new ownership of Pittsburgh Paints. I really hope it does...

Rob Wallace
I am taking a class with Jimmy Clewes on Tuesday and Deft lacquer is on the needed supplies list.

I had no idea Lowes was discontinuing it, but after asking at the first one and they checked inventory - there was only about 10 cans around Houston...all way across town.

I happened to stop into a Home Depot - and they carry it.

Back